Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:36 AM

One country, more than forty languages and roughly 1600 dialects! India is diverse to say the least and its languages are just one aspect of this diversity. Every state has its own traditions, culture, lifestyle, food…. It is ironic then, that when the rest of the world talks of Indian Food Recipes, the one word that comes to most minds is ‘curry’. This is perhaps the greatest understatement ever as ‘curry’ does not begin to sum up the amazing variety that is to be had in Indian cuisine. Not only does every state have its own style of cooking, even individual households differ in their preparation of the same dish. Most have their own secret recipes for the powders and pastes that form the backbone of the dish. What unifies all Indian Food Recipes is the spices that bring them their characteristic fragrance and flavor.

Diverse, delicious and not as difficult to cook as you might think, Indian is among the leading cuisines of the world. With every state, city and even every home having its own recipes for thousands of dishes, one can imagine how the variety is absolutely mind-boggling.

In North India chillies, saffron, milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and ghee (clarified butter) are hot favorites while in the South, folks love pepper, tamarind and coconut and will often even cook in coconut oil. Those in the East love all things mustard and fish while the extremely cosmopolitan West Indians have so adopted western ingredients that their style can quite easily be called fusion.

Indians love their food. It plays a huge part in the country’s culture with festivals all having their own special dishes and certain foods being auspicious or even taboo on certain occasions. Even everyday meals are mostly sit-down affairs and comprise of two to three main course dishes, accompaniments like pickles, chutneys and papadums, staples like rice and roti (bread), all rounded off with something to satisfy the sweet tooth! Cooking for and sharing a meal with a guest is the ultimate sign of hospitality. While most people think Indians are largely vegetarian, Indian Food Recipes comprises of a dazzling array of meat, chicken and fish dishes!

Contrary to popular belief, Indian Food Recipes is not just about curry, chillies and oil!.There is probably no other cuisine in the world that includes as many healthy and diverse vegetables and spices. At the same time, Indian cuisine is not just for vegetarians. If the worldwide popularity of Butter Chicken, Rogan Josh, Vindaloo and Fish Amritsari is anything to go by, Indians know a thing or two about pleasing the non-vegetarian palate.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,853 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

Wholeheartedly agree Grossman 41. A particular favourite of mine is Curried Spam. :rolleyes:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:59 AM

I also agree, however I tried curried fish, prauns etc the other night and didn't enjoy the texture. Any recipies greatly appreciated (meat please).

Regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5673 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

Dear All,

Interesting topic.
You might have added one more characteristic - it's hot. I love the flavours involved but the heat factor is simply always too aggressive (to put it politely) to enjoy the product for me. IMHO, people who love curry must have masochistic tendencies. Bit like the Kama Sutra. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

Dear Charles,

I totally agree, having served with the Gurkha rifles they are "masochistic" and love the curry "VERY HOT" even for breakfast.

Regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

Dear Charles,

I just imagine the results if you have for dinner this hot recipe with a lot a curry and a cup of wine. Girls have to be careful on the dance floor :whistle: !!

Emmanuel.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5673 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:39 PM

Dear Emmanuel,

Thks for the complimentary words.
Sadly, the truth is rather less romantic - the first thing I usually do when I am compelled to eat curry at some restaurant is to verify the location of the nearest toilet. :smile:
Not sure if it was the Gurkhas but I seem to remember a famous miitary philosophy - "Forewarned is Forearmed" or in this case perhaps "forelegged".

Interestingly and slightly more on-topic, there is a neat review of the KS at this website (paired with "Bend it like Beckham :biggrin: ) -

http://redhotcurry.c...ters/Issue7.htm

Oh for a magic carpet ! ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Bobby

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates
  • Interests:To Enjoy Making, Eating and Studying FOOD

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

Life is not all that easy for Indians who consume a lot of spicy food..Most of them suffer from acid reflux problems by mid 40's!
Its 'no...no' to HOT food after that!! :biggrin:

Bobby krishna

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users