What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Your Opinion of ISO 9001:2000 Certification?

Started by , Mar 31 2003 10:04 AM
2 Replies
Jim Wade a vociferous proponent of ISO9001:2000 Certification recently stated in another discussion:

"The problem is the frenetic emphasis on clauses 4 - 8 of ISO 9001 - about 12% of the overall ISO 9000 concept. This emphasis is counter to the intent of the 'standards'."

"I shall continue to advocate avoidance of certification (or at least to promote the fact that the certification process does no more than give you a certificate) in favour of applying the principles and the guidance in ISO 9000 overall"

Do you agree with Jim?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Opinion on Food Chain ID Management System The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification HACCP and SQF Certification Regulatory certification Is a scanning system required as part of the sqf certification?
[Ad]
I agree with Jim.
When I have to describe my job, I usually tell people that I'm involved in "quality", not in "certification". I strongly remark the difference between the two words.
I agree with both of you. Most savvy companies already do ISO 9000 as part of a common-sense business strategy. And have done for years.

The Certification industry has created a critical mass over the years and unfortunately people who know virtually nothing about "quality" i.e. purchasing managers have been programmed to ask "Are you certified to ISO?"

If you said "no we are not but we won the European Excellence Award this year", you probably wouldn't get the contract.

If it was my choice I would let our certification lapse - but it's not!

Regards,
Simon

Similar Discussion Topics
Opinion on Food Chain ID Management System The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification HACCP and SQF Certification Regulatory certification Is a scanning system required as part of the sqf certification? Scope of Certification product specific Tips for upcoming NSF Certification Audit How to purchase the FSSC 22000 V6 Certification package? ISO 9001 and 22000 Manual Template HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5