• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 22 October 2024 - 07:49 AM

Hello,

We are currently using metal detectors as our foreign substance control method and it is also a critical control point.

Before I joined, the company had no previous protocol for testing and validating the metal detector which I have aimed to correct by creating one.

We have run in to a problem where the detector can't detect non-ferrous metal or small pieces of stainless steel so the only test piece that it detects is the ferrous one. What's more there is a question about the suitability of metal detection as our control, because our product is packed in a laminate with aluminium in it.

I have little experience with the technologies used in metal detectors so can't give you a lot of details about the machine, but as I understand it there is only one coil in the machine which does the detecting.

My question then would be if there's a way to make the metal detector work with all of the required test pieces and if not, is there a way to justify the use of only the ferrous test piece in our food safety management documents? 

If these are not possible I suppose I'll have to think of a way to get the management to buy a better detection system.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

Artturi Oksanen

Dorothy87

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 283 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques, Art, Sailing

Posted 22 October 2024 - 08:24 AM

Hi Artturi ;) 

Did you challenge your metal detector with the smallest possible MD sticks? 

We are using metallised foil and called manufacturer to challenge the metal detector with ferrous 2.0mm, Non-ferrous 3.0mm and SS 5.5 mm plus Ferrous 20mm (customer requirement). 

Start with the metal detector manufacturer, they should be able to help and find correct sensitivity and the most relevant MD sticks. If you are not sure about the manufacturer, search for MD calibration service. Not all metal detectors will be able to deal with metallised foil, but this should be confirmed by manufacturer. 

AOksanen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 22 October 2024 - 11:04 AM

Hi Artturi ;)

Did you challenge your metal detector with the smallest possible MD sticks? 

We are using metallised foil and called manufacturer to challenge the metal detector with ferrous 2.0mm, Non-ferrous 3.0mm and SS 5.5 mm plus Ferrous 20mm (customer requirement). 

Start with the metal detector manufacturer, they should be able to help and find correct sensitivity and the most relevant MD sticks. If you are not sure about the manufacturer, search for MD calibration service. Not all metal detectors will be able to deal with metallised foil, but this should be confirmed by manufacturer. 

Hello Dorothy,

We are using St/St 316 - 3,0 mm, Ferrous 3,0 mm and Non-ferrous 3,5 mm. 

These sizes we figured out with a consult. I have tried contacting the retailer, but they unfortunately have not been able to help us with this.

As for the manufacturer we have no knowledge unfortunately.

These machines unfortunately are proving to be quite the obstacle to put it in a civilized way.

FSM4you

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 October 2024 - 12:25 PM

There should be some kind of identifying mark on it, stating the kind it is. If not, someone in accounting should have the purchase information. That is the first step. Unfortunately, it's impossible to guess. 

As for justifying it only detecting ferrous, unless there is no other kinds of metal in your facility, which is doubtful, and you can get Documents from all your suppliers stating that they do not have anything besides ferrous, which is more doubtful, I would say that's a no go. 

On another note, Loma makes a decent metal detector. With the metal foil issue though, you might just be better off using magnets/X-Ray if that fits your processes.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,911 posts
  • 1179 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 22 October 2024 - 02:34 PM

With all the information provided it sounds like the machine has never been re-calibrated professionally.

Regardless if running a foil i would suggest an X-ray instead.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

-SQF System Development, Implementation & Certification /Internal Auditor Training /eConsultant Retainer

Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com | https://glennoster.website3.me/

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,741 posts
  • 1567 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 October 2024 - 03:12 PM

You need to have the machine calibrated to your packaging whether it's by the machines manufacturer or by another technician

Almost all MD's that are less than 10 years old are capable of being used when the packaging has a foil layer

Basically, your machine should have a list of finished goods to select from that are calibrated to that particular item (packaging, density, type etc)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 724 posts
  • 137 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 October 2024 - 06:47 PM

We are using St/St 316 - 3,0 mm, Ferrous 3,0 mm and Non-ferrous 3,5 mm. 

These sizes we figured out with a consult. I have tried contacting the retailer, but they unfortunately have not been able to help us with this.

While 3mm is fairly common for verification reference, is there a specific reason that's what you use?  The consult doesn't seem to have done much good if you can't detect 2/3 of the seeds.

If the instrument can't be suitably calibrated for that size in a metallized or foil laminate, the low cost alternative may be to simply raise your verification reference size until you can detect it.  Knowing that you can reliably detect 5mm is better than only knowing you can't detect 3.5mm.

The higher cost alternative of switching to Xray and smaller verification seeds would be preferable.

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 300 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 22 October 2024 - 07:29 PM

If the metal detector has a serial or model number listed, you should be able to search online to identify the original manufacturer. The unfortunate thing about purchasing through a third-party retailer is that you don't have immediate direct contact with the OEM.

I agree with everyone that a professional calibration service is needed. The calibration company may be able to assist with item profile setup as well.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

AOksanen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 23 October 2024 - 04:56 AM

Thank you all for your advice.

I agree that a x-ray would be preferable, but unfortunately as I understand it the company wishes for a low budget option.

Then I'll just have to hope they'll agree to at least getting it professionally calibrated.

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 300 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 23 October 2024 - 02:55 PM

Thank you all for your advice.

I agree that a x-ray would be preferable, but unfortunately as I understand it the company wishes for a low budget option.

Then I'll just have to hope they'll agree to at least getting it professionally calibrated.

You may also want to check what your customers require of their suppliers. I know for Costco, unless you meet specific exemption criteria, they require all supplier to use x-ray rather than metal detection. Not sure what other retailers require this, but it's something you will want to verify.

• G M likes this

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users