• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can you leave fire exit doors open if they have fly screen doors?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

J.osh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted Yesterday, 09:55 AM

I'm hoping that fire exit doors being left open is not a problem that just occurs at my site 😄

It does get warm in our factory, so our operators tend to leave fire exit doors open for the air flow, which of course, they shouldn't be doing.

I was looking into fly screen doors. Would this be an acceptable way to allow our fire exit doors to be open whilst still preventing pests?

Thanks.

Alex A.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted Yesterday, 11:01 AM

I would check that with Health and Safety as well before spending any money on screens. For fire safety reasons that should always be kept shut, so they might not be happy that you are trying to encourage this bad habit with a screen :D might bring up some safety concerns as well that a fire exit is being blocked with a screen.

Dorothy87

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 271 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques, Art, Sailing

Posted Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Hi :) 

Yes, as long as you will have a good risk assessment from both sides - Foods safety and H&S. 

There is a company in UK who is making such fire doors with mesh which doesn't affect H&S and won`t allow any pests to entrance the site. 

is called two way swing 

https://www.fbiltd.c...fly-screen.htm 

;) 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,724 posts
  • 383 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Does that affect Product Security? Could anyone access the production floor?

-Setanta         

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,889 posts
  • 1178 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted Yesterday, 03:08 PM

I knew a girl once that said she was a two-way swing - never understood what she meant.

Anyway, I don't understand how a fire door can be left open with a screen in place.

I would think it better that ownership would invest in a better HVAC system.

oh, dang, now I get what she meant!!!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

-SQF System Development, Implementation & Certification /Internal Auditor Training /eConsultant Retainer

Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,724 posts
  • 383 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 PM

HA ha ha, I was so focused on the screen part of the question, I ignored the FIRE DOOR part!

Good catch Glenn!  Sorry about your missed opportunity, though! 

-Setanta         

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 832 posts
  • 220 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Screens aren't liked much by auditors, so from a food safety standpoint you should have a daily or twice daily schedule to inspect to make sure the screens aren't ripped and also don't have any gaps in their frame.

From an employee safety standpoint, if the screen is solid in the frame, you've added a hazard to employees who need to leave in a hurry due to fire.  Fire doors are supposed to open outward in the event of a stampede of people, so it might work if you design it to break away or freely open outward when a ton of people are trying to burst through it.  Refer to your country's worker safety rules for fire exits.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 667 posts
  • 193 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 04:48 PM

"Screens aren't liked much by auditors, so from a food safety standpoint you should have a daily or twice daily schedule to inspect to make sure the screens aren't ripped and also don't have any gaps in their frame."

I've had screens in overhead doors in every food manufacturer I've worked in for 15 years and I've never run into an auditor that batted an eye at them. As long as there were no tears in them at time of inspection, they fit flush, and I could show from routine (monthly) GMP inspections that we verified they were adequate (tears, flush, etc.) during each inspection it was never an issue. 

Obviously if they are ripped to hell during an audit that would be a problem. 

The fact they are fire doors though is a different ball of wax for H&S.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 832 posts
  • 220 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 05:15 PM

I've had screens in overhead doors in every food manufacturer I've worked in for 15 years and I've never run into an auditor that batted an eye at them. As long as there were no tears in them at time of inspection, they fit flush, and I could show from routine (monthly) GMP inspections that we verified they were adequate (tears, flush, etc.) during each inspection it was never an issue. 

Obviously if they are ripped to hell during an audit that would be a problem. 

The fact they are fire doors though is a different ball of wax for H&S.

I'm glad you've had that experience.  My auditors have always seemed to harp not only on the pest risk (asking for proof they're being monitored, checking for gaps during the actual walkthrough, etc), but it also makes them question and scrutinize my air/EMP monitoring as well as food security programs more stringently.  Screens can be done correctly, but you need to make sure your ducks are in a row through your hazard analysis of their use.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 708 posts
  • 137 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 05:37 PM

Air intakes usually have particulate filters, and this screen door wouldn't.  Some of our facilities are in rural areas where dust would be a problem, and others in urban environments where auto fumes or other pungent emissions would be entering.  Not to mention the vastly increased risks for food defense.  Pests aren't the only thing those doors keep out.

Shrimper

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 PM

My first thought here was food defense. An open door would not fly very well in terms of a food defense plan. A screen does not seem much safer in defending the food. Not sure on your plant layout either. 

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users