• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are City Water Analysis Results Sufficient for E. Coli Testing Compliance?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

IzahelCamps

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2024 - 06:53 PM

Good afternoon everyone ,

Recently i had a customer audit and during the audit was requested the water laboratory analysis .

As a part of our process we use potable water and normally i print the results from the city ..

My question is if exist any CFR that require to send the water potable that we used for  E coli , and other pathogens or is enough with the City analyses results .. (note our process meet temperatures very high 430 grades F..)

Thank you everyone in advance for your support ..

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 67 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2024 - 07:16 PM

2 things here. 

1. Staff do wash their hands correct?  Hopefully not in 430°F temperatures!  How do you know this is suitable for handwashing?  

2. How do you know that your water delivery system (pipes, etc.) are not adding to further contaminate the water in your facility?  

I wouldn't rely on a CFR I would be looking at this as best practice.  Annual water reports are good to have on file and generally show heavy metal analysis, they don't show what is happening inside your building.  

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 832 posts
  • 220 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 October 2024 - 07:23 PM

Most GFSI require water testing.  SQF for example, "11.5.1.4 The delivery of water within the premises shall ensure potable water is not contaminated. Testing of the backflow system, where possible, shall be conducted at least annually and records shall be maintained."  Given most of our customers require us to be GFSI, I can see where your customer is coming from.

Just because it tests good at the city source, there's still potential for it to be contaminated at your plant: piping, faucets, hoses, etc., all can contribute to contamination of your water.  Your process might be so high temp that the water can't be a factor in your HACCP plan, but hand washing and sanitation require water to be clean.  Most places I've worked had city water, and a quarterly test frequency of the sources within our plant are common (quarterly is justified with a long history of clean tests as well as the city water report reviewed and on file).

Edited by jfrey123, 11 October 2024 - 07:24 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,889 posts
  • 1178 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 11 October 2024 - 08:30 PM

Normally city results are not sufficient and many times they could be upwards of a year old and frankly I would not rely on a government testing water that they add to, etc.  Kinda like buying a diamond and the seller handles the grading.

You should be doing independent and routine water testing.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

-SQF System Development, Implementation & Certification /Internal Auditor Training /eConsultant Retainer

Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

kconf

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 October 2024 - 06:03 PM

Yes, send your water for testing at least annually

Arden

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 09:22 PM

We get water from the City, and we do annual water testing within our building at a dead-end of the water line.   We do a number of analytical tests with a 3rd party certified testing company.  Tests: 

1. Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
  2. pH
  3. Chlorine Residual DU
  4.  Metals
  5. Total E. coli (they report both e. coli and coliform).
  6. Nitrate + Nitrite
  7. Anions

We verify the completed test results alongside the City test results and the Environmental Pollution Agency Drinking water regulations.   We track and trend over time.  Here are some of our references:

1. EPA National Primary Drinking Water Regulations https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-06/documents/npwdr_complete_table.pdf
  2. EPA, Natural Primary Dinking Water Regulations. Updated January 2, 2024. Retrieved on 05/06/24 from: https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/national-primary-drinking-water-regulations
  3. EPA, Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Final PFAS National Primary Drinking Water Regulation. Updated 05/06/2024. Retrieved on 05/06/24 from https://www.epa.gov/sdwa/and-polyfluoroalkyl-substances-pfas

IzahelCamps

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Thank you everyone for your reply and help to understand better it.

Already contacted a external laboratory and will be done soon .

Approved by the  management

i was thinking was enough with the city report , but now i see the importance to make our test as a company .

thank you again for your time and knowledge!

Regards 

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users