What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How Can I Streamline a Large Hazard Analysis for Practical Use?

Started by , Oct 11 2024 12:47 PM
2 Replies

Hi, 

Working on updating a hazard analysis after extensive hazard identification process and for a while I have been banging my head against the wall on this issue for a while.

To give you some background. I am in the process of updating the haccp system to comply with stricter requirements in regard to how specific and accurate our hazard analysis should be. This is great, and I really think the hazard analysis is a very accurate representation of the  process. The problem is that the sheer amount of data (number of rows) render the analysis itself practically useless and very demanding to keep up to date.

The reason it ends up being so bloated is that a specific hazard on a specific process step can have several causes. The likelyhood of it occuring can be very different and so on. At least 80 % of the hazards listed for each step are general for the whole process, like unsatisfactory cleaning, unclean hands, clothing, equipment and so on, but repeated for each relevant step.

Below I have made a fictitious hazard analysis to illustrate the issue. I have not included every column, but only the relevant part. 

The example shows hazard analysis for contamination of Salmonella for a specific hypotetical processing step. I dont understand how they can be merged into one row for "Contamination Salmonella". I first tried to include the hazards that occur everywhere and are controlled by PRP programs in an overall assessment, but this was not accepted. I have to assess it for every step, (or copy paste or refer to). 

How to do the hazard analysis accurate and detailed, but also a good tool for practical use?

Process step

Type

Causes

Corrective action

Probability (x x y x z)

Result desicion three

B

Contamination

Salmonella

Cleaning not satisfactory

Report to cleaning personelle and clean area before production start

GHP

Contamination

Salmonella

Personal equipment not sterilized due to operator not following routine

Compliance with routine is checked throughout the day, breaches of routine are corrected immediately.

GHP

Contamination

Salmonella

Personal equipment not sterilized due to unsatisfactory temperature in autoclave

Sensors inside the machine measures temperature, if minimum temperature is not reached an error message. Contact technical department immediately. Use other autoclave.

Contamination

Salmonella

Contamination via contact surface (pole) due to contaminated product being processed

Desinfect pole before each break, equipment is available on the position.

Contamination

Salmonella

Contamination due to perforation of digestive canal

Item is tagged for correction at later processing step, where visual contamination is hygienically removed if possible. Degree of contamination determines further handling, f. ex extensive contaminated items are discarded

OPRP

Contamination

Salmonella

Contamination via disposable clothing

Disposable protective clothing should be changed each time personell is entering the production area via hygiene lock. Disposable protective clothing must also be changed after contact with contaminated matter.

GHP

Contamination

Salmonella

Airborne contamination via steam from autoclave nearby

Not relevant

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Are City Water Analysis Results Sufficient for E. Coli Testing Compliance? Root Cause Analysis for Non-Conformities After BRCGS Audit Is Root Cause Analysis Always Necessary? Approving Large Couriers for Food Transport Does anyone have a BRCGS - Storage and Distribution gap analysis template?
[Ad]

I personally hate  that kind of analysis chart         IMHO the risk matrix should be a separate doc from the analysis  that alone will stream line the whole process

I gather you're in slaughter from some items, and ya, that is going to be a large program no matter what you do

HOWEVER, why mention the autoclave at all if it is physically so far away you've entered an N/A????

I use this format---then do a risk assessment by step as an addendum

Form 8: CCP determination and other control measures
1 Like

Hi Brumle,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums

I use an Excel file I call the HACCP Calculator for this purpose, it enables your whole hazard analysis to be summarized in one file:

HACCP Calculator.png   415.48KB   1 downloads

It includes assessment of likelihood and severity to decide how significant a hazard is and a decision tree to confirm CCPs.

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Are City Water Analysis Results Sufficient for E. Coli Testing Compliance? Root Cause Analysis for Non-Conformities After BRCGS Audit Is Root Cause Analysis Always Necessary? Approving Large Couriers for Food Transport Does anyone have a BRCGS - Storage and Distribution gap analysis template? Hazard Analysis Template & Preventative Controls Risk Analysis for EMP program Duplicate analysis using MPN Method What are the recommended CCP'S for hazard control on bone-in vs. boneless chicken in a small restaurant? Raw Material Hazard Analysis