What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Band-Aid Tracking and Storage Solutions

Started by , Oct 09 2024 10:29 PM
12 Replies

We're getting ready for our first BRC next month.  Our company has a facility in Canada and we're in the US.
Regulatory (Can) wants our first aid cabinets locked, and ALL band-aids traced.  Basically, a checklist of who took how many band aids. We do have metal detectable, blue band aids and will start metal detecting each box of band-aids before the cabinets are restocked.

I was talking to our safety officer and we both think that's overkill.  Have a first aid cabinet in each hygiene room. Someone needs a band aid, they go to the hygiene room, wash their hands, apply the band aid, get new gloves and return to work.

Just what is required as far as band aids?  

Of course, if an injury needs more than a band aid, additional action will be taken.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Band Saw Cleaning Is there such a thing as a GMP approved Band-Aid dispensers? Does anyone have recommended brands for metal detectable bandages/band-aids that have good adhesion? NC for Food Safe Gloves with a knitted band around the wrist Clause 6.2.6 - Is numbering of Band-Aids required?
[Ad]

Band aids need to be metal detectable.

For BRCGS they need to be colored, metal detetable, verified by metal detector, issued and monitored.   While i do agee its probably excessive, regulatory is ensuring that you are in compliance with each line of the standard.   "issued and "monitored" open to interpretation.

All cuts and grazes on exposed skin shall be covered by an appropriately coloured plaster that is different from the product colour (preferably blue) and contains a metal detectable strip. These shall be site-issued and monitored. Where appropriate, in addition to the plaster, a glove shall be worn

Where metal detection equipment is used, a sample from each batch of plasters shall be successfully tested through the equipment and records shall be kept.

1 Like

If CFIA is asking for it, then you do it

FYI-they have significantly more power than the USDA and FDA combined in how you run your plant.  Speaking as someone who's been in food for 20+ years in Canada.

Everywhere I've been, the issuance of band-aids has been recorded.  Your safety officer should also want to track this information, are people getting cut in the same location repeated???

My suggestion to you is to come to the realization that Canadian regulations are much firmer and you will need to adapt your thinking

I don't think this is an overkill. All you have to do is put a band-aid log sheet next to this first aid kit. Let the members fill in date, initial , number of Band-Aids taken. 

This will help you keep track of injuries and traceability as well. 

Thanks everyone. 

Now, for those that are saying band aids must be issues and recorded, can you show me where it is written in the BRC policy or FSMA?

I have searched both and can't find anything on first aid and/or band aids.

Our Safety guy is good.  He has 20+ yrs experience and can cite regulations all day.  He's been studying Canadian regulations but hasn't found anything about band aids needing to be recorded.

BRCGS 7.2.4 - although it does not specifically say to record band aids usage, an auditor can interpret however he/she wants and can give you a NC. 

It is just one of many things that are not clearly written yet could cause trouble. 

Thanks everyone. 

Now, for those that are saying band aids must be issues and recorded, can you show me where it is written in the BRC policy or FSMA?

I have searched both and can't find anything on first aid and/or band aids.

Our Safety guy is good.  He has 20+ yrs experience and can cite regulations all day.  He's been studying Canadian regulations but hasn't found anything about band aids needing to be recorded.

in brc plaster = band aid.   Search the code for "plaster"

7.2.3 All cuts and grazes on exposed skin shall be covered by an appropriately coloured plaster that is different from the product colour (preferably blue) and contains a metal detectable strip. These shall be site-issued and monitored. Where appropriate, in addition to the plaster, a glove shall be worn.

1 Like

Haha, so plaster is the word. Thanks for the correction, king. 

As I stated, if your inspector asks for something like this, just do it.  And BTW they will cite a portion of the regulation like this (as an example)

Part 4: Preventive Controls Summary

46. Part 4 contains the majority of the food safety provisions in the SFCR.

Part 4 covers two key concepts:

12.2 Illness and injuries Some symptoms of illnesses that should be reported to management so that the need for possible exclusion from food handling and/or medical examination can be considered include:  jaundice;  diarrhoea;  vomiting;  fever;  sore throat with fever;  visibly infected skin lesions (boils, cuts, etc.); and  discharges from the ear, eye, or nose. Personnel with cuts and wounds should, where necessary, be assigned to work in areas where they will have no direct contact with food. Where personnel are permitted to continue working, cuts and wounds should be covered by suitable waterproof plasters and, where appropriate, gloves. Appropriate measures should be applied to ensure plasters do not become a source of contamination (e.g. plasters of contrasting colour compared to the food and/or detectable using a metal detector or X-ray detector)

To ensure they don't become a source of contamination, you should know which employees currently have one on  

Keep a log next to the band aids and have the employees fill it out each time they use one. Simple info such as date, name, how and quantity used. This will satisfy CFIA SFCR and Occupational H&S programs in Canada.

We're getting ready for our first BRC next month.  Our company has a facility in Canada and we're in the US.
Regulatory (Can) wants our first aid cabinets locked, and ALL band-aids traced.  Basically, a checklist of who took how many band aids. We do have metal detectable, blue band aids and will start metal detecting each box of band-aids before the cabinets are restocked.

I was talking to our safety officer and we both think that's overkill.  Have a first aid cabinet in each hygiene room. Someone needs a band aid, they go to the hygiene room, wash their hands, apply the band aid, get new gloves and return to work.

Just what is required as far as band aids?  

Of course, if an injury needs more than a band aid, additional action will be taken.

Its so they can be traced at the end of the day.. to ensure no foreign bodies have been left in finished products

Hi Miss Frankie,

To add to kingstudruler1’s posts, BRCGS Guidance for Clause 7.2.3 states:

'To minimise the potential for plasters or band-aids to contaminate product, they must be controlled by the site (e.g. through the use of an issue procedure, where numbered plasters or band-aids are documented in a log, stating when and to whom they were issued). The site may consider the need for an audit of plasters at the end of the shift, and for staff to immediately inform supervisors of any loss.'

I don't think that it is too onerous once you have your first aiders trained up.

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Band Saw Cleaning Is there such a thing as a GMP approved Band-Aid dispensers? Does anyone have recommended brands for metal detectable bandages/band-aids that have good adhesion? NC for Food Safe Gloves with a knitted band around the wrist Clause 6.2.6 - Is numbering of Band-Aids required? Control of Dressings and Plasters (band aids)