What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Cleaning Challenges in Bakery Environments

Started by , Oct 05 2024 06:28 AM
7 Replies
Hi,

We're an ISO-certified industrial bakery and we're having trouble with cleaning the roof over some of our ovens.
When the doors of the ovens open, lots of hot fat comes out and covers the roof, so it's very tough to clean.
The roof is concrete and about 3 meters up.

We can't use too much water in the area, because then we'll loose electricity. I'm also unsure of what chemicals we can use.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Cheers, Sigrid
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Cleaning procedure Maintenance Shop Cleaning Requirements Holes in Programs and Vacuum Packing Machine Cleaning How to Develop a Cleaning Schedule Based on Risk Assessment? Wheat Allergen Cleaning Validation Challenges
[Ad]

If feasible, get professional cleaners. 

It's not I'm afraid... 

If feasible, get professional cleaners. 

I would shut off all the breakers, tarp everything possible and power wash the ceiling with the hottest water possible, then elbow grease to scrape it clean

Fat (particularly bakes on) is very difficult to clean, and nearly impossible without the use of water

This is probably a job that is going to require a plant shut down for a day or two no matter what method you use

For the future, after you get it cleaned very well, have the concrete sealed so the surface the condensate collects on is not porous.  It will make subsequent cleanings easier.

2 Likes

Good suggestions above. Depending on your configuration maybe a ventilation fan or ductwork can be installed above the ovens to better trap the fatty condensation? This ductwork would have to be taken down for cleaning regularly as well, but it might be a lot easier to clean than a roof. I haven't worked in bakeries so I'm not familiar with exactly what type of condensate you're dealing with, but it sounds like solutions for this issue may exist in your industry.

Hi, 

Thank you all for good suggestions. 

However, I'm unsure if we'll cause more trouble than it's worth to use water, since the electrical system is too exposed. 

Does anyone have any experience with a strong base in these type of situations? 

I've had good results before with similar situations in brewing. 

Any suggestions for the same type of situation but on steel plates? 

Thanks, 

//Sigrid 

Any suggestions for the same type of situation but on steel plates? 

Thanks, 

//Sigrid 

I've had good luck with this product. Combitherm Oven Cleaner

https://www.webstaur...QIx5zzsfRXS_B9M

It works really well on grease and fat. We've used it on the sides of ovens where carbon builds up.

All you have to do is spray it on and wipe away with a microfiber towel.

Please wear gloves and avoid breathing it in. It's nasty stuff.
As Scampi suggested, you should tarp off anything in the area before starting.

The main ingredient is Potassium Hydroxide, so it can be corrosive to metal.

Don't use it on aluminum or it will cause discoloration. I've never had a problem on stainless steel.

Similar Discussion Topics
Cleaning procedure Maintenance Shop Cleaning Requirements Holes in Programs and Vacuum Packing Machine Cleaning How to Develop a Cleaning Schedule Based on Risk Assessment? Wheat Allergen Cleaning Validation Challenges Chocolate Melting Kettles - Holding temperature & cleaning requirements Help regarding the application of good cleaning and sanitation measures in the food industry Master Cleaning Schedule and Warehouse Cleaning air conditioning pipes that are high up Cleaning Process and Chemicals