• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2024 - 03:58 PM

Hello!

For a US frozen (human) food meal manufacturer, which would be the best scheme to use for Walmart Social Audit? We are thinking about SA8000. If this is not the best scheme, which one would you recommend? 

Anyone has experience on this? 

How long did it take your plant from inquiry up to getting certified? 

Thank you. 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 694 posts
  • 135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:33 PM

The best one is the one that will be accepted/valued by the most customers.

We're in a different product segment, but have done SMETA 4P audits because that's what our customers (Costco and Walmart) wanted.  If another customer wanted us to do a ethical/sustainability audit, I'm confident they'd accept that one too.

I laughed at the timeline the people in the Walmart zoom call gave last week.  I would expect most companies to need 90+ days advance to get an audit scheduled.  When Walmart made the last request they were delusional enough to think we could get is scheduled in 4 weeks then too.

The audit itself takes about as long as all of our routine food safety audits added together (4-5 days for a facility with 1k people).  The largest chunk of time is spent in interviews with personnel.  The corrective action timeline and report are comparable to most food safety audits.

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 272 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 02 October 2024 - 08:46 PM

We went with Intertek, as they were on a customer's approved list, and it was about 5 months from inquiry to audit (4-pillar SMETA). You aren't given a certificate, though--just a complete audit report and CAPR. I'm not sure if other social audits are moving away from certificates and scores, but I know SMETA has.

I was told that the CB had been inundated with SMETA audit requests, so they were booking out up to 6 months in advance this year around the time I began inquiring.

Like GM said, the number of workers--which includes any temporary/agency workers--will have the largest impact on the number of on-site audit days.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

FrozenFoodQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 October 2024 - 09:27 PM

In this context, for a mid-size company (200-300 employees), is this audit spearheaded by HR, QA, EHS? There seems to be a bit of apprehension on who "owns" this audit. 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 694 posts
  • 135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2024 - 12:46 PM

In this context, for a mid-size company (200-300 employees), is this audit spearheaded by HR, QA, EHS? There seems to be a bit of apprehension on who "owns" this audit. 

The questions are 55% HR, 30% EHS, 15% administrative/managerial/purchasing, and 5% maintenance/engineering. 

0% food safety or quality.  But that doesn't stop our management team from asking me to keep coordinating it.  We could be making doorknobs and it would make no difference in the ethical trade audit.  Our department just has a lot more experience dealing with auditors and audits.

Attached Files

Edited by G M, 03 October 2024 - 12:55 PM.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users