• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 September 2024 - 03:20 PM

Hello all,

I am working on a case at my current post where we had some product quality issues with a Lentil Flour Pellet. The product had some areas of discolouration which is assumingly due to yeast/mold. I had some of the discoloured sample isolated and sent for moisture and Y/M testing alongside an unchanged sample (mostly normal colour).

The isolated, discoloured sample did have higher mold counts (60,000 cfu/g) compared to the unchanged sample (12.000 cfu/g), but the moisture was more of a curiosity to me. The moisture of these pellets had dropped from 11.86% at time of manufacture to 9.41% at time of additional testing.

My question is as follows, does a Y/M issue gradually reduce moisture content if moisture increasing is restricted somehow? This product is toted and maintained in a food grade warehouse with low humidity and no dripping water. 

Looking forward to any ideas.

Thank-you and regards,

Gareth

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 686 posts
  • 135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2024 - 03:59 PM

I would have expected the opposite distribution.  Is there a physical factor like lower density/compression that could be giving the spoiled pellets a higher bioavailability or water activity?

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 28 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 September 2024 - 06:49 PM

It is hard to conclude based on one trial. Also, the difference is not that great. 

What was the timeline of two tests? 

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Yeast, Mold, Lentil, Pellets, Moisture, Decrease

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users