What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Effects of Yeast and Mold Growth on Product Moisture

Started by , Sep 25 2024 03:20 PM
2 Replies

Hello all,

I am working on a case at my current post where we had some product quality issues with a Lentil Flour Pellet. The product had some areas of discolouration which is assumingly due to yeast/mold. I had some of the discoloured sample isolated and sent for moisture and Y/M testing alongside an unchanged sample (mostly normal colour).

The isolated, discoloured sample did have higher mold counts (60,000 cfu/g) compared to the unchanged sample (12.000 cfu/g), but the moisture was more of a curiosity to me. The moisture of these pellets had dropped from 11.86% at time of manufacture to 9.41% at time of additional testing.

My question is as follows, does a Y/M issue gradually reduce moisture content if moisture increasing is restricted somehow? This product is toted and maintained in a food grade warehouse with low humidity and no dripping water. 

Looking forward to any ideas.

Thank-you and regards,

Gareth

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to check thawing effects on the quality and safety of the product? Adding Vitamin D & A on milk processing and side-effects on human SQF 11.3.4, Watches, Jewelry and Personal Effects Removal for Visitors Effects of spray drying on pathogens 13.3.4 Jewelry and Personal Effects
[Ad]

I would have expected the opposite distribution.  Is there a physical factor like lower density/compression that could be giving the spoiled pellets a higher bioavailability or water activity?

It is hard to conclude based on one trial. Also, the difference is not that great. 

What was the timeline of two tests? 

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
How to check thawing effects on the quality and safety of the product? Adding Vitamin D & A on milk processing and side-effects on human SQF 11.3.4, Watches, Jewelry and Personal Effects Removal for Visitors Effects of spray drying on pathogens 13.3.4 Jewelry and Personal Effects Effects of freezing on dairy products - yogurt Does Food Safety consider chronic as well as acute health effects?