Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2024 - 04:04 PM

My client has recently changed (at short notice and without my input) our pest management company, as they were not happy with the services they were receiving.  I am not sure about the politics, but it is now 'done'.

This was a short notice change and the contractor removed its baits etc, and also took the pest management manual.  This has happened to me in previous life, when I phased out a pest management company (20yrs ago) and they took the pest management manual with them...which i was never able to retrieve...

My belief and expectation is that the manual and its contents is 'ours' and they should not have been removed - but I am wondering whether we have caused ourselves a problem.  However any thoughts or opinions before I send a strongly worded email would be appreciated!! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,899 posts
  • 1178 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 24 September 2024 - 04:15 PM

I would first go to the original contract for services. You will in all likelihood see a claw back clause for proprietary information that is shared with the client but once they are let go everything goes back.

It's like log books on a business jet - they only appear to be the clients property until the jet is repo'd, then they go back to the leasing company. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

-SQF System Development, Implementation & Certification /Internal Auditor Training /eConsultant Retainer

Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 717 posts
  • 137 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2024 - 06:06 PM

I would suspect Glenn is right, and the devil is in the details of the contract regarding ownership of the records.  The pest control companies can count on two things: people don't read the details in contracts; and most people/companies don't want to handle the complex licensing and training requirements of doing their own pest control.

This makes me want to go make copies of a few things, just in case ...

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 328 posts
  • 111 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2024 - 08:07 PM

I would suspect Glenn is right, and the devil is in the details of the contract regarding ownership of the records.  The pest control companies can count on two things: people don't read the details in contracts; and most people/companies don't want to handle the complex licensing and training requirements of doing their own pest control.

This makes me want to go make copies of a few things, just in case ...

This is why I make sure I get all of my reports/maps/licenses/usages/etc. emailed to me  :spoton:

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 67 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2024 - 08:17 PM

This is why I make sure I get all of my reports/maps/licenses/usages/etc. emailed to me  :spoton:

Same here, everything is hard filed even through our PCO currently has an online system/log book.  Also we own all the pest control traps which if you can swing the cost definitely helps in the long run.  

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 328 posts
  • 111 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2024 - 08:19 PM

Same here, everything is hard filed even through our PCO currently has an online system/log book.  Also we own all the pest control traps which if you can swing the cost definitely helps in the long run.  

Oh for sure.  I've got a box of Tin Cats about 5 feet away from me right meow.

• G M likes this

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 67 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2024 - 08:29 PM

Oh for sure.  I've got a box of Tin Cats about 5 feet away from me right meow.

Meow! Well played!  

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 963 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2024 - 03:24 PM

I've never had a PCO take back thier log book.   Not saying that they couldnt, its just never happened to me.  Honestly, it  seems odd to me until others said the same.   

Edited by kingstudruler1, 25 September 2024 - 03:24 PM.

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 837 posts
  • 220 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2024 - 04:43 PM

I'd agree it's a contract issue.  That said, I wouldn't accept a PCO whom writes in that they own the logs, and I'd have tackled the guy trying to leave with the book.  (Okay, probably not, but I'd be tempted).  

Lesson learned for me here to remove all files from the logbook if my company wants to change PCO's and hand them back an empty binder lol.  If they want the logs they can go deal with the legal department.

Dorothy87

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques, Art, Sailing

Posted 26 September 2024 - 08:09 AM

Hi ;) 

We recently moved pest control management from company A to B. Company A left everything including books and bait boxes. 

Company B replaced bait boxes and brought their pest control management book. 

not sure when is your next BRC audit but sometimes BRC auditors are picky (if pest control is their fav field - I experienced this  :blink:) and they love to check each month flies trends, etc...   :angry2:

Contract should help, and I would fight to get logbooks back

Thanked by 1 Member:

Aurora_Ceres

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2024 - 03:04 PM

I'd agree it's a contract issue.  That said, I wouldn't accept a PCO whom writes in that they own the logs, and I'd have tackled the guy trying to leave with the book.  (Okay, probably not, but I'd be tempted).  

Lesson learned for me here to remove all files from the logbook if my company wants to change PCO's and hand them back an empty binder lol.  If they want the logs they can go deal with the legal department.

Thanks - I wish i'd had the chance.. The business owner seemed to have an issue with the ex. PCO and I wasn't informed until it was too late...  Fortunately BRC isn't until March so I should be ok in showing a good set of data!!

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 289 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 15 October 2024 - 07:26 PM

I've never heard of the PCO taking the log books...that's new.

Make sure to document somewhere that there was a change in PCO and that the traps and logs were removed from the site by the former PCO. An auditor may want to know why the change occurred, and how you ensured food safety (e.g., your pest control measures) was maintained during the switch, so that may need to be included on some kind of report or assessment as well.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

kconf

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 292 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 October 2024 - 07:34 PM

Do you still have the service reports, SDS, inspection records etc.? 

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users