Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2024 - 03:49 PM

During our magnet checks, we have been finding small pieces of metal; this has been happening on and off for a few weeks. We've been investigating the issue by going through our production processes, etc., but haven't found the source. Is there a way to "test" the metal or compare it to samples of metal? Any advice would be helpful as we are confused about where it comes from.

Thanks!

KellyQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2024 - 04:46 PM

What are you checking with the magnet? 

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 September 2024 - 04:56 PM

and what is your process flow chart? 

It is not uncommon to find metal swarf on magnet wand. Has your MD been rejecting such samples? 

kristinmaxx

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2024 - 05:13 PM

We run power material through our magnets. We don't have a MD. 

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 127 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 13 September 2024 - 05:16 PM

I would take a look the equipment leading up to the magnets and examine them for damage. If you're finding actual little chunks of metal then there should be some wear visible. Things like Mills, Pumps, Augers, etc can all be common sources of FM when they become damaged. You may have to disassemble equipment pretty thoroughly to find the source of the damage.

If all your equipment seems undamaged then you should turn your focus to the product itself, perhaps your ingredients have been contaminated by FM. If you're buying powder for instance, the supplier's equipment may be introducing metal.

To answer your question though, "testing" metal for its source isn't something I'm aware of. Most food equipment is made of stainless steel, so I guess if you determined that the metal was something that equipment couldn't possibly be made of then that could rule somethings out...but to me that's an unorthodox approach to this problem.

Edited by Brothbro, 13 September 2024 - 05:18 PM.

• G M likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 September 2024 - 05:20 PM

What type of power or powder? 

kristinmaxx

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2024 - 05:25 PM

I meant powder....things like sugar, salt, acidulants 

we've tried going back to the suppliers regarding the metal source and they deny that it's from them--so that is a dead end. 

All of the equipment we use is stainless steel. It is hard to tell what metal and from where it could be without having "samples" to compare the metal from. 

Thanks for your help!

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 September 2024 - 05:30 PM

So the powder does not go through further processing at your facility? You test them in the same state you received them? 

Well, stainless steel is an iron alloy and will be picked up by magnet. 

Do you wipe the magnet after each use? How is it stored? 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 791 posts
  • 216 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

From my first job at a spice company when we had these situations in powders and granulated product, we would setup a magnet in a hopper direct feeding into a fresh package (poly lined box 99% of the time), then we would dump product over the magnet to evaluate the raw material.  Pull some random cases of the product, run it, record the findings.  If you're finding the metal in raw, that's a pretty slam dunk case to say the supplier is on the hook:  document the evaluation with pictures and a solid write-up of the process/findings, deliver it to them and demand a CAPA.  If nothing is found, process the material/lot as normal and see what you get in your process.  I will say we were pretty notorious for powdered metal in our product after milling, just a side effect of mill blades and mill liners wearing out from the friction.  We ran multiple magnets throughout the process to reduce the powder and would investigate when larger metal shavings were discovered.  Most of the time the larger metal shavings was from raw inputs (dried slice vegetables from the previous manufacturing step), but in one instance I remember we started discovering metal from a new screw conveyor that the owners bought.  Ran fine when empty, but it was large enough that the weight of product on the auger would cause it to shift and strike the sides.  That whole deal was a nightmare...

Edited by jfrey123, Yesterday, 06:41 PM.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metal contaiminants, metal fragments

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users