Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2024 - 12:24 PM

I am very new to the industry as a QA Technician and product developer, this platform is huge huge support in a lot of critical topics.

We produce frozen kebabs on bamboo skewers, I was wondering if there are certain validation processes required which should serve as a proof that the company is aware of any food safety issues related to such skewers, and has process in place to mitigate any risk.

Would highly appreciate some guidance from the sea of experts here, in terms of what documents are important to sign off the usage of skewers.

Thank you & warm regards,

Urmi 

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 September 2024 - 12:38 PM

Hi Urmi,

Your supplier of bamboo skewers has to be approved (food certified). Do a risk analysis on this item, such as potential contamination, physical - splinters etc.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,135 posts
  • 307 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 13 September 2024 - 03:54 PM

Put the risk in your HACCP plan with a strategy to control the process. Plus what kconf mentioned and being food grade (supplier verification process). 

We have a SOP for skewers and quality control checks them for splinters and broken ones. We also have a policy that states if a skewer breaks during the process, the whole product with skewer is thrown away. 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 667 posts
  • 133 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 03:07 PM

I am very new to the industry as a QA Technician and product developer, this platform is huge huge support in a lot of critical topics.

We produce frozen kebabs on bamboo skewers, I was wondering if there are certain validation processes required which should serve as a proof that the company is aware of any food safety issues related to such skewers, and has process in place to mitigate any risk.

Would highly appreciate some guidance from the sea of experts here, in terms of what documents are important to sign off the usage of skewers.

Thank you & warm regards,

Urmi 

You're probably already doing most of it.  With inserts and 'packaging' materials inside the package it is usually worth including a "Known Hazards" policy document in your HACCP plan to identify things like the skewer, or an oxygen absorber, as well as natural hazards like bone or other raw material related FM, and identify the processes and policies used to manage those known hazards.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users