What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 11.2.4.6 - CEO's Dog in the Office: Compliance Concerns

Started by , Sep 12 2024 03:09 PM
Previous Page 1
27 Replies

Hi everyone, 

Our new CEO came to me a few months back asking if he could bring the family dog to the office area. Initially, I allowed it so as long as his dog stays in his office and of course never enters the warehouse floor (production and distribution areas) based on my interpretation of this standard from SQF Ed 9:

"11.2.4.6 No animals shall be permitted on-site in food handling and storage areas."

I have also asked him to make sure to follow our GMP policy of handwashing and wearing a lab coat when he enters production. We are a low risk facility that roasts and packages coffee beans. He told me at the last company he was at (also coffee roaster), they allowed dogs in office areas. 

The dog is a German Shepard and he is very well behaved. He has never been anywhere near the warehouse, only in the CEO's office. The dog is only out of the office (and on a leash) when the CEO only takes him out to relieve himself. 

Did I create a problem for myself for future audits...  :unsure:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Concerns About Using Feather Dusters in Food Packaging Areas Corn Starch Allergen Concerns: What to Consider? Random BRC Compliance Questions Traceability of Peroxide and Gases in BRCGS Compliance Concerns Regarding Boars Head Sanitation Issues
[Ad]

I think you did a great job ensuring your CEO follows GMP and SQF standards are maintained. Your CEO also did well co-operating.

I don't see any problematic behavior. 

1 Like1 Thank

I wouldnt have an issue with it.    I think you will find there will be opnions on both sides.   

1 Thank

I would do everything to have my dog in the office.. but I can`t  :crybaby:  :crybaby: , but I think you did a great job ! ;) 

1 Thank

I would be one of those dissenters. Sure, it's fine for the CEO, but what about Bob (or Bobbie) in accounting?? Their dog is just like a support animal and--well, isn't as well behaved as a shepherd, but it's cute!!! Rules need to be uniform and equally enforced. 

BUT roasted beans and coffee isn't the same as milk or sandwiches or butter....

2 Likes1 Thank

At one facility I worked at the President LOVED animals and actually wanted a doggie day care on site (didn't happen).  
She had me look into allowing animals on site.

What I found, was if the animals was there for rodent detection, it was allowed (just on inside the production facility). 

I told her all of my dogs would hunt rodents.  She was happy on days I brought them to work. 
I did leave them in the car (I compete with my dogs and my car is set up to be dog safe all day) just taking them for walks outside a couple times a day.  
While I was working there, we adopted a senior dog that I would occasionally take up to her office.  

Nobody had any issues with it.

1 Thank

I don't allow pets in the offices, but I think it's possible to create a program that allows them with certain restrictions. I don't see a problem with the program you've created. Like others have mentioned it really depends on your facility, from your product type to the layout of your facility. For instance, I would allow pets if the entrances to the office was directly from the outside, but not if they'd have to take the dog through production to reach their desk.

1 Like1 Thank

Had pets into the office on occasion at my first QA job.  Small family run plant, and no chance I was going to get the owners not to do it.  Given they were smart enough to keep the dogs isolated to the office and not bring them on days we had customer or GFSI audits, I just let it be.  I did have an SQF auditor notice a dogs bed that got left by one of the owners' desk, and the look of panic on that owner's face was priceless when he overheard the auditor asking me about it.  I was open and said the dog had visited the day before and left it at that.  

1 Thank

I don't allow pets in the offices, but I think it's possible to create a program that allows them with certain restrictions. I don't see a problem with the program you've created. Like others have mentioned it really depends on your facility, from your product type to the layout of your facility. For instance, I would allow pets if the entrances to the office was directly from the outside, but not if they'd have to take the dog through production to reach their desk.

I have not written a pet program or policy per say, should I do so? I would imagine that I don't need to do a GMP risk assessment since the dog stays in the office area but please correct me if I am wrong! 

And yes, entrance to the office is directly outside. I would definitely not allow any animal to come through from production entrance!

I have not written a pet program or policy per say, should I do so? I would imagine that I don't need to do a GMP risk assessment since the dog stays in the office area but please correct me if I am wrong! 

And yes, entrance to the office is directly outside. I would definitely not allow any animal to come through from production entrance!

I think mentioning the pet policy in your general GMP SOP (or Personnel Practices SOP, where ever you detail how employees should maintain themselves when on company property) would be a good idea. Pets are a risk, so you need to set some ground rules. Personally I would require that any pets brought on site should require the QA Manager's written approval. A pet-pass of sorts? This form could also detail where pets are allowed to be in the facility. Could also give the company the right to require pets to be sent home if they're being unruly. This prevents the worst-case scenario of literally every employee in the office from bringing their pet without notice under the guise of you "allowing pets in the office". I love pets but you can't let things get out of hand!

1 Thank

I did an audit once and a little dog came running into the inner office and jumped up onto my lap... they were freaking out thinking I was going to mark them up for it. That little guy was on my lap for two hours and everybody calm down when zi asked if it was an office dog. Once that was settled everything was fine.

You handled it just fine. 

2 Likes1 Thank

Homo-sapiens are animals. Only automated machines and robots are qualified to work there?

Did I create a problem for myself for future audits...  :unsure:

Yes, you must be 'Barking Mad'  :roflmao:

I love German Shepherds myself, so it would have been a difficult question.

I guess it will depend on whether your next auditor is a dog lover or not. You could always point out that cats were a popular form of pest control in the good old days.

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Thank

Tony-C - you had to go there.  

It would be ruff making the doggone decision.  :giggle:

1 Like1 Thank

Our new CEO came to me a few months back asking if he could bring the family dog to the office area

Just do as the new CEO says or you'll soon find yourself hounded out.....

I'll get my coat  :doh:

1 Thank

In Canada you CANNOT use an animal as pest control in any form.......................

Homo-sapiens are animals. Only automated machines and robots are qualified to work there?

I am just adhering to the SQF requirement as mentioned. 

Thank you everyone for your perspectives, I really appreciate the reassurance and jokes!  :lol:

A pawsitive note for the weekend I might say!  :cheezy:

1 Like

In Canada you CANNOT use an animal as pest control in any form.......................

:uhm:

The comments are light hearted Scampi.

Kind regards,

Tony

She was trying to keep the focus, I appreciate that.

When we have so many people who do not speak English as their first language, someone could always misunderstand what is humorous, with bad results.

She was trying to keep the focus, I appreciate that.

When we have so many people who do not speak English as their first language, someone could always misunderstand what is humorous, with bad results.

A ton of stuff can get lost in translation especially if you don't have the cultural context to understand the jokes and/or the turn of phrase being used. It is always good to have clarification on International forms that pertain to something as important as food safety. 

(just adding more context to support quoted response)

1 Like

Language is not always a barrier to take things easy :D 

(Chill x) 

Language is not always a barrier to take things easy :D 

(Chill x) 

Chill, the new equivalent of smile, more.  :huh:

1 Like

Scampi said "In Canada you CANNOT use an animal as pest control in any form....................... "

Is that because Canadians refuse to pay them minimum wage?

1 Like

The previous director here claimed if an auditor had a problem with the occasional spider web, he would just tell them that the spiders were his organic pest control.

The Kosher Rabbi thought it was hilarious. I probably won't (and hopefully won't have to) use that line on the SQF auditor.

Previous Page 1

Similar Discussion Topics
Concerns About Using Feather Dusters in Food Packaging Areas Corn Starch Allergen Concerns: What to Consider? Random BRC Compliance Questions Traceability of Peroxide and Gases in BRCGS Compliance Concerns Regarding Boars Head Sanitation Issues How can we effectively document inspections for carriers like USPS and FedEx to ensure compliance? Guidance on Addressing SQF Compliance Issues for Contracted Storage Providers Seeking Guidance on SOPs or checklists for FSSC 22000 Version 6 Compliance Incorporating Outsourced Suppliers into HACCP Risk Assessments: BRC Clause 3.5.4.3 Compliance Developing a Sampling Plan for Leasing Space Above Production: Ensuring Microbial Safety and Compliance