Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 06:40 PM

I've never worked in a food production place that allowed pets.

Concerns I have about letting the dog visit:

1. Will anyone who pets the dog be going out on the production floor? How do you prevent dog hair from entering the facility? What if staff members are allergic to dogs?

2. Does the facility have appropriate areas for the animal to relieve themselves outside?

3. If Office personnel can bring their pets, what about production personnel? (I hear the "but so and so can do X, why can't I" argument a lot when policies aren't uniformly enforced)

4. Do you have a retail space? How will you keep the retail space free from pet dander, dirty paw prints, etc?

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 791 posts
  • 216 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 06:47 PM

I've never worked in a food production place that allowed pets.

Concerns I have about letting the dog visit:

1. Will anyone who pets the dog be going out on the production floor? How do you prevent dog hair from entering the facility? What if staff members are allergic to dogs?

2. Does the facility have appropriate areas for the animal to relieve themselves outside?

3. If Office personnel can bring their pets, what about production personnel? (I hear the "but so and so can do X, why can't I" argument a lot when policies aren't uniformly enforced)

4. Do you have a retail space? How will you keep the retail space free from pet dander, dirty paw prints, etc?

1.  Same way I control the incidental pet hair production employees bring from home on their own clothing or hands:  wash your hands and wear a smock on my production floor.

2.  Same areas that wildlife uses I suppose.  Obviously you'd want to demand anyone bringing an office dog walk them away from the building and pick up the poo.

3.  Office staff gets to do a lot of things that production personnel don't get to do.  I could see it being a whiny HR issue, but if your company is big enough for this to be a problem then HR probably already has a program against it.

4.  Doggo would be a hard no-go (at least in my state) if there's retail space offering food.  Doesn't stop people from bringing their non-service animals into my local grocery store, though it is against the law.

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users