Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2024 - 04:54 PM

Hello I'm new to this forum, and I need some guidance regarding process control methods used to control production processes. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,145 posts
  • 307 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 10 September 2024 - 06:55 PM

Hello I'm new to this forum, and I need some guidance regarding process control methods used to control production processes. 

You need to be more specific. Like USDA or FDA. What kind of production processes are you referring too. 

Jesse1220

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2024 - 08:37 PM

FDA, I'm replying back to our current SQF audit non conformances we had. I just started position so I'm trying to catch up. This is what the SQF auditor mentioned in his report towards quality

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 67 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2024 - 09:56 PM

You should post word for word what the auditor documented in the report.  Process controls vary on many factors and processes.  

Jesse1220

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2024 - 10:14 PM

Process control methods used to effectively control and optimize production processes that improve process efficiency, product quality and reduce waste were not available for review during the audit.

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 67 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2024 - 10:29 PM

Process control methods used to effectively control and optimize production processes that improve process efficiency, product quality and reduce waste were not available for review during the audit.

What methods are currently being used here?  Since you are new I would start asking around with folks who are directly connected to these types of metrics to gain an understanding of how the process works.  Then you can break down efficiencies, waste, and quality aspects.  

Did the auditor provide any additional context?  

Jesse1220

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2024 - 10:42 PM

By gathering all process would I need to trend or?

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 835 posts
  • 220 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2024 - 03:58 AM

That's a pretty vague write up from the auditor.  Can you cite the SQF code number he listed that finding under?

I'm guessing it's off of the quality code as it doesn't sounds like something in the food safety standard.  Do you recall what records the auditor was asking for when they decided this would be a finding?  Do you recall a part of your audit where you couldn't provide a record they asked for?  If you're in the position of responding to this audit finding, you should know what process controls are being used by your facility (or have direct access to the people who monitor them).  Each plant has different processes, ergo ways to monitor them to ensure you remain in control of your product and programs.

Taking the auditor at face value, it sounds like they're claiming you were unable to provide documentation for any checks that monitor "process efficiency, product quality and reduce waste."  If these metrics are something in your SOP's, then find what your SOP states you're supposed to do.  If not, ask yourself:

"What are we doing to improve process efficiency?"

"What are we doing to improve product quality?"

"What are we doing to reduce waste?"

Answering those questions and writing them into your SOPs, with someone assigned to verify periodically, is my best guess at trying to solve given the information I've read here.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,145 posts
  • 307 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 11 September 2024 - 01:06 PM

Right off hand - do you track any metrics on production or downtime due to maintenance fixing items. 

Jesse1220

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2024 - 03:45 PM

Right off hand - do you track any metrics on production or downtime due to maintenance fixing items. 

As of right now we dont track any maintenance downtime. As for production we conduct varies verification such as salt %, moisture %, oxygen and temperature but we don't trend them to improve our efficiently nor product quality.

Jesse1220

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2024 - 03:48 PM

That's a pretty vague write up from the auditor.  Can you cite the SQF code number he listed that finding under?

I'm guessing it's off of the quality code as it doesn't sounds like something in the food safety standard.  Do you recall what records the auditor was asking for when they decided this would be a finding?  Do you recall a part of your audit where you couldn't provide a record they asked for?  If you're in the position of responding to this audit finding, you should know what process controls are being used by your facility (or have direct access to the people who monitor them).  Each plant has different processes, ergo ways to monitor them to ensure you remain in control of your product and programs.

Taking the auditor at face value, it sounds like they're claiming you were unable to provide documentation for any checks that monitor "process efficiency, product quality and reduce waste."  If these metrics are something in your SOP's, then find what your SOP states you're supposed to do.  If not, ask yourself:

"What are we doing to improve process efficiency?"

"What are we doing to improve product quality?"

"What are we doing to reduce waste?"

Answering those questions and writing them into your SOPs, with someone assigned to verify periodically, is my best guess at trying to solve given the information I've read here.

Thank you so much for this clarification. We currently are conducting verification on qc process such as moisture %, salt %, oxygen and salt but we dont have a way to improve process or track our verification nor are we trending them. 

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users