• IFSQN Associate
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Greetings all,

We are in the process of designing a cooling system that will send cooled air into a cooling chamber that will make direct contact with our product. 

Part of the cooling system is a heat exchanger; its internal components will be SS and some insulated copper tubing. The use of galvanized ducting that will run from the heat exchanger to the cooling chamber has been suggested.  

I prefer SS for all the reasons but waiting for SS ducting will delay the project by a few months. I haven't been able to find anything in the code to suggest galvanized metal is prohibited or discouraged as direct contact material other than for use in acidic food (which ours is not). 

Can anyone direct me to the appropriate section of FDA code that will allow its use for food contact if there is such a thing? or justification to prohibit it in same. 

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,682 posts
  • 1554 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted Today, 12:43 PM

The issue with galvanized is:

Not Recommended for Clean AirGalvanized piping is commonly used for water distribution and for general plumbing.  Galvanized coating resists moisture in compressed air but pieces of the coating will flake off and end up in your food.

So in essence, you will be adulterating your food and need to replace it anyway if you don't inspect it often

Here's the FDA link

https://www.accessda....cfm?fr=175.390

• SMT likes this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:
SMT

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,857 posts
  • 1171 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted Today, 03:36 PM

Surface coating of galvanized can easily powder or flake off - thus the reason it is never used in food facilities.

• SMT likes this

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:
SMT

SMT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Today, 06:40 PM

Thank you for the prompt and clear responses, your feedback is greatly appreciated!!    :spoton:

Share this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users