What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Label claim vs actual weight

Started by , Sep 08 2024 03:01 AM
2 Replies
Hi all,

Quick question. What is the rule about drinks/supplement drinks below the label claim? Let’s just say the label calls for 60 ml, and the actual is 59.5 ml. Is that still allowed by the FDA / USDA? Is there any rule regarding how low the product can be?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Verifying Label Changeover Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Box label and pack label Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements Honey in product does it require label warning for infants?
[Ad]

Most people will tell you to follow the NIST handbook.   It gives allowances for a certian amount of containers being under that stated weight and the maximum under or over the contents can be.  

Ive never seen the FDA check.   If it throws off your nutritional values or claims that could be another issue.  

Now, weights and measures may be another story.    They use to frequently flask my products.   IME they have zero tollerence and take it serious.   If you are checking by flask make sure you are using the proper fask (to containt vs to deliver) and follow the proper flasking procedure.   

I always hated the NIST handbook guidelines and I consider myself to be very operation friendly.   I always wanted all of the containers above the stated net contents.  Mostly because  I was the one that had to answer the complaints and deal with WAM.  Also, essentially telling a customer that it was ok for me to screw them because I/we  gave someone else more never really sat right with me.  Most will dissagree with me.  

Yeah, NIST handbook 133 is the standard reference   https://www.nist.gov...current-edition

Our USDA inspectors regularly check net weights, its one of the standard 'tasks' they get assigned to review at least a couple times a month, and they directly reference the handbook when they have questions.  When the USDA field office pull samples from retail locations they use it too.

Similar Discussion Topics
Verifying Label Changeover Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Box label and pack label Deforested meat products shelf life label requirements Honey in product does it require label warning for infants? Mention word Real fruit on candy label Label requirements for food manufactured for restaurant use? Dual Label for Single Product (FSANZ & FDA) Question about a Misleading label SQF 9 - Label Reconciliation