• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 September 2024 - 03:01 AM

Hi all,

Quick question. What is the rule about drinks/supplement drinks below the label claim? Let’s just say the label calls for 60 ml, and the actual is 59.5 ml. Is that still allowed by the FDA / USDA? Is there any rule regarding how low the product can be?

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 941 posts
  • 309 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 September 2024 - 05:33 PM

Most people will tell you to follow the NIST handbook.   It gives allowances for a certian amount of containers being under that stated weight and the maximum under or over the contents can be.  

Ive never seen the FDA check.   If it throws off your nutritional values or claims that could be another issue.  

Now, weights and measures may be another story.    They use to frequently flask my products.   IME they have zero tollerence and take it serious.   If you are checking by flask make sure you are using the proper fask (to containt vs to deliver) and follow the proper flasking procedure.   

I always hated the NIST handbook guidelines and I consider myself to be very operation friendly.   I always wanted all of the containers above the stated net contents.  Mostly because  I was the one that had to answer the complaints and deal with WAM.  Also, essentially telling a customer that it was ok for me to screw them because I/we  gave someone else more never really sat right with me.  Most will dissagree with me.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 665 posts
  • 132 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2024 - 01:33 PM

Yeah, NIST handbook 133 is the standard reference   https://www.nist.gov...current-edition

Our USDA inspectors regularly check net weights, its one of the standard 'tasks' they get assigned to review at least a couple times a month, and they directly reference the handbook when they have questions.  When the USDA field office pull samples from retail locations they use it too.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users