Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted Yesterday, 05:56 PM

As someone deeply passionate about food safety and quality, I find it fascinating how much our food supply relies on the intricate web of standards and regulations that govern every step, from farm to fork. In Europe, the CEN (European Committee for Standardization) plays a vital role in maintaining these standards, ensuring that what we eat is safe, healthy, and produced under the best possible conditions. Why I Believe CEN Standards Are Essential

When I think about the sheer scale of food production in Europe, it's clear that without a common framework, ensuring consistent safety and quality across countries would be a daunting task. CEN standards provide that framework. For example, standards like EN ISO 4833-1:2013, which focuses on microbiological testing, help ensure that harmful bacteria are kept out of our food supply. Similarly, the EN 1186 series covers the safety of food packaging materials, preventing contamination from packaging substances.

But it’s not just about rules and regulations. These standards serve a greater purpose: they protect us as consumers, ensure fair practices in the market, and even promote sustainable practices that help conserve our environment.

My Thoughts on the Challenges

Of course, I know that these standards aren’t without their challenges. I've seen firsthand how difficult it can be for small businesses to keep up with the constantly evolving requirements. The costs of compliance, regular audits, and the need to stay updated with the latest changes can be overwhelming, especially for SMEs. Moreover, some standards can be quite complex, leading to confusion or even mistakes in their implementation.

I’ve talked to several small business owners who feel caught in a balancing act—wanting to ensure the highest standards for their products but struggling with the practicalities and costs of compliance.

How I Think We Can Improve

Based on my experience and perspective, I have a few ideas for making the CEN standards even more effective:

1. Simplify the Language: I believe that clearer, simpler language in the standards documentation could go a long way in helping businesses understand what is required of them. It would reduce misunderstandings and help companies comply more easily.

2. Support for SMEs: There should be more targeted support for small and medium-sized enterprises, whether through subsidies for certification, access to affordable auditing services, or user-friendly tools that help them understand and comply with standards.

3. Consumer Awareness: I think consumers also need to be more aware of the importance of these standards. Public awareness campaigns could help people understand what goes into ensuring the safety of the food they eat, and why it matters.

4. Embrace Innovation: With technology advancing so rapidly, why not include more innovative testing methods in the standards? For example, rapid testing could help companies detect issues more quickly, which would ultimately benefit everyone.

5. Global Cooperation: Given the global nature of food supply chains, aligning CEN standards more closely with international standards would help businesses that operate beyond Europe. It would simplify their compliance processes and ensure that food products are safe and marketable worldwide.

Looking Ahead: What’s Next for Food Safety?

Thinking about the future, I’m optimistic. The standards set by CEN European standards provide a solid foundation, but there’s always room for growth and improvement. As we continue to refine these standards and adapt to new challenges, I’m confident that we can maintain and even elevate the level of food safety in Europe.

For me, this isn't just about regulations—it's about ensuring that every bite we take is safe, healthy, and produced responsibly. It’s about building trust between consumers and producers, and making sure that the food on our tables meets the highest standards possible.

And while the path forward may be complex, I believe that with continued innovation, collaboration, and commitment, the future of food safety looks bright. That’s why I’ll always advocate for strong, effective standards like those provided by CEN European standards. They are essential in our quest for a safer, more sustainable food future.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,396 posts
  • 1331 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted Today, 04:43 AM

Hi genorma,

Whilst having very nice standards on paper is nice, unfortunately based on my experience, the standards aren’t always applied in practice.

I have refused to approve a facility that was 50% owned by the government of a certain country in the Baltics because it wasn’t suitable for any sort of food manufacture let alone a relatively high-risk product.

The MD claimed he was going to make Billions out of EU subsidies - I sort of fell out of love with the EU after that experience.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users