What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Stupid question, Sodium Bicarbonate

Started by , Sep 05 2024 01:20 PM
4 Replies

Stupid question:    I have a customer asking about granulated sodium bicarbonate, and I have no experience with it.  

Anyone use this stuff?   Is it the same as regular sodium Bicarbonate functionally?   Is it a 1/1 substitution to use one or the other?

Thanks everyone.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to avoid stupid audit non-conformances How to avoid stupid audit non-conformances Stupid question of the day...... FSMA Expectations
[Ad]

Certain it is just the difference in their physical form. Granules, powdered, blocks all will behave the same (will have different rates of solubility/ reactivity)

1 Like1 Thank

I believe granulated baking soda will dissolve in water faster than powder form. 

1 Like1 Thank

I'll just throw good ol regular in then.   I don't want to source the GR if it behaves the same as something I already have in  my building....

Yall rock, many thanks!

Depends on the formulation and mix times.  What I have seen historically is that water temperature and mix times are also a factor as this aids in the 'dissolving' of the SB (baking powder or baking soda).  Was in a commercial bakery and we gauged dough temperature and pH.  If the dough temperature was off this lead to patches of undissolved minor ingredients and BP/BS were the main culprits as the would clump together.  May not be the end all for your process just my experience with using SB.  

Similar Discussion Topics
How to avoid stupid audit non-conformances How to avoid stupid audit non-conformances Stupid question of the day...... FSMA Expectations