• Quick Navigation
Photo

What lessons can be learned from the Boars Head Listeria recall?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 289 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted Yesterday, 02:55 PM

I'm inclined to believe it was a new cook process that someone decided was invalidated by the test result.  Not sure how else to reconcile several months of production on an item that must have experienced segregational cleaning cycles daily or weekly.

How quickly will we see FOIA requests fulfilled or denied for their inspection record?  I think the precedent set by Boars Head will build a lot of expectations. 

I was wondering if it could have been post-process contamination myself. Or like the Boar's Head incident, perhaps there was a resident strain of listeria spp. that wasn't properly eradicated? A poor environmental monitoring program + poor sanitation program?

I do feel terrible for any of the "middle-men"--the processors who bought BrucePac's RTE chicken and meat and packaged it into finished goods (like the frozen meals and single-serve salad kits in the recall list). If I were them, I would be conducting environmental testing to ensure any production line or storage area the BP material was in is not contaminated with listeria. I would want to assure *my* customers that my facility was maintained in sanitary condition.

Can you imagine if that listeria strain somehow spread to equipment and/or infrastructure at a BP customer that didn't have a strict sanitation program and environmental monitoring? My hands are sweating just thinking about how that could snowball...I hope FSIS is working with BP's customers to ensure that is not the case.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,724 posts
  • 1561 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Also unacceptable is the vagueness of this statement...See underlined.

https://www.foodsafe...ly/#more-243866

CFIA outbreak investigation triggers recall of Wagener’s Ham in Jelly

Wagener’s Meat Products is recalling Wagener’s brand Ham in Jelly (Jelly Pork) from the marketplace because of possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.

According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), this recall was triggered by findings by the CFIA during its investigation into a foodborne illness outbreak.

The recalled products may have been sold by various retailers, either clerk-served, sliced, chunked or in smaller packages, with or without a label that may not bear the same brand, product name or best before date. Consumers who are unsure if they have purchased the recalled product are advised to contact their retailer.

Recalled product:

Wagener’s brand Ham in Jelly (Jelly Pork)

• Size – Variable
  • UPC – None
  • Code – BEST BEFORE, 28DE24, 241

As of the posting of this recall, there have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of this product.

The CFIA is conducting a food safety investigation, which may lead to the recall of other products.

The CFIA is verifying that industry is removing recalled products from the marketplace.

The recalled product should not be consumed, used, sold, served or distribute.

That means deli's may have cut it up into smaller pieces to be sold as grab and go     Which happens with meat and cheese regularly         It actually adds weight to my point re: GFSI    push from retailers, but they won't look in their own mirror

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,724 posts
  • 1561 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Can you imagine if that listeria strain somehow spread to equipment and/or infrastructure at a BP customer that didn't have a strict sanitation program and environmental monitoring? My hands are sweating just thinking about how that could snowball...I hope FSIS is working with BP's customers to ensure that is not the case.

You have a lot of faith in an organization that has no teeth!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,724 posts
  • 1561 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 PM

F

The list of recalled products is massive  :yikes: I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Kind regards,

Tony

I will hand my family this list the next time they wonder why we're an ingredient household and not a grab n go one!!!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,462 posts
  • 1345 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted Today, 03:33 AM

Update - Editor's Note: Oct. 17, 2024 - FSIS is working diligently to identify all recalled products that were distributed to consumers, including those purchased by schools. A preliminary list of schools that received products that include BrucePac recalled ready-to-eat (RTE) meat and poultry have been added. The products that went to these schools were not part of USDA’s National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs; schools also purchase food directly from other vendors.

School Distribution List Last Updated on: 10/17/2024 at 5:00 pm EST

My Next Live Training Webinar is: Practical HACCP Training for Food Safety Teams on Tuesday, October 22, 2024 - Great value at only $97USD per person.

Celebrating 15 years of IFSQN Implementation Packages: IFSQN BRC, FSSC 22000, IFS, ISO 22000, SQF (Food, Packaging, Storage & Distribution) Implementation Packages - The Easy Way to Certification

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,462 posts
  • 1345 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted Today, 03:48 AM

I'm inclined to believe it was a new cook process that someone decided was invalidated by the test result.  Not sure how else to reconcile several months of production on an item that must have experienced segregational cleaning cycles daily or weekly.

How quickly will we see FOIA requests fulfilled or denied for their inspection record?  I think the precedent set by Boars Head will build a lot of expectations. 

That is quite possible but a lot of these products are chicken based and I would expect Salmonella or Campylobacter to be the predominant pathogens. More likely contamination in the post-cook process such as the cooling step with Listeria monocytogenes I would have thought.

Latest BrucePacUpdate - Editor's Note: Oct. 17, 2024 - FSIS is working diligently to identify all recalled products that were distributed to consumers, including those purchased by schools. A preliminary list of schools that received products that include BrucePac recalled ready-to-eat (RTE) meat and poultry have been added. The products that went to these schools were not part of USDA’s National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs; schools also purchase food directly from other vendors.

School Distribution List Last Updated on: 10/17/2024 at 5:00 pm EST

Kind regards,

Tony

My Next Live Training Webinar is: Practical HACCP Training for Food Safety Teams on Tuesday, October 22, 2024 - Great value at only $97USD per person.

Celebrating 15 years of IFSQN Implementation Packages: IFSQN BRC, FSSC 22000, IFS, ISO 22000, SQF (Food, Packaging, Storage & Distribution) Implementation Packages - The Easy Way to Certification

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users