• Quick Navigation
Photo

What lessons can be learned from the Boars Head Listeria recall?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 272 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 30 August 2024 - 05:35 PM

The USDA may not have been able to do much, especially with the June 2024 Supreme Court overturning of the 1984 Chevron doctrine, which had set precedent that required courts to give deference to federal agencies when creating regulations based on an ambiguous law. Which means that even if the experts at the USDA attempt at enforcing regulatory action against a company, a federal judge with 0 food safety expertise can come in and say "nah, that regulatory violation doesn't necessarily violate the ambiguous law Congress enacted." :-/

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Seathalos

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 4 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 August 2024 - 07:30 PM

The USDA may not have been able to do much, especially with the June 2024 Supreme Court overturning of the 1984 Chevron doctrine, which had set precedent that required courts to give deference to federal agencies when creating regulations based on an ambiguous law. Which means that even if the experts at the USDA attempt at enforcing regulatory action against a company, a federal judge with 0 food safety expertise can come in and say "nah, that regulatory violation doesn't necessarily violate the ambiguous law Congress enacted." :-/

Unfortunately you do have a good point. Gotta love how we are gutting our bare minimum regulatory bodies that were set in place to try to limit harm because of flimsy "interpretations" of the constitution ratified by one of the most corrupt/bribed and un-democratic  institutions in the western world. But hey why should we try to have quick acting, precise, and efficient regulatory bodies when our supreme court justices can get an average of >$200k in "gifts" if they cozy up to billionaires by deregulating the industries they have stakes in. 

Mistborn42

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 August 2024 - 10:15 PM

June 2024 Supreme Court overturning of the 1984 Chevron doctrine

Ah, the eternal grift 😎 great link BTW!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,703 posts
  • 1558 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 September 2024 - 04:30 PM

to the naysayers in this thread who objected to the facts that Boars Head could/should have done more, may I present you Karma (which is cold comfort to the families of the 9 people who died due to eating their product)

https://www.cbsnews....-meat-lawsuits/

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kconf

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 September 2024 - 04:41 PM

Scampi, this is devastating for the individuals and families going through. I don't think anyone objected to the facts that they could/should have done more. I hope Boars Head pay the price for this tragic outcome. 

I sympathize with the victims and hope for better things in the food industry. 

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 694 posts
  • 135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2024 - 04:44 PM

I don't think anyone is surprised there are lawsuits either.  Any recall where numerous people became hospitalized or anyone dies is pretty much guaranteed to make some lawyers rich.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2024 - 05:29 PM

to the naysayers in this thread

Lol... I don't think anyone was being a naysayer.   I'm not surprised in the least that there's a lawsuit, personally......and I'm sure there will be more.

I'm also not sure why you seemed to take the questions that were put to you in this thread (or others) as personal attacks, nor why you refused to answer any that were put to you in good faith.  Nobody said they shouldn't have done more.   You said they were wrong for coming back into the market after cleaning, etc.   I simply asked what you felt they should do?   And you chose not to respond to that.   And that's fine, that's up to you.  

Now you post this, doubling down with what can only appear as an attempt at grandstanding and attacking others: making sure to shove it in the face of your "Naysayers" as you label some of us (me, obviously.   At least you didn't call me a cow this time, lol, cause that one took me a while to get over!)..... like how DARE someone question YOU......

But I mean, obviously they should have done more.   Any entity that makes people sick and/or claims lives should have done more.  The recent egg recall probably could have been avoided too, but hindsight is 20/20.  (Shooting fish in a barrel ain't hard....)

fuel-fire.gif

Edited by MDaleDDF, 09 September 2024 - 05:30 PM.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 September 2024 - 05:32 PM

I'm done with this thread, it's digressed further than even I am willing to go.  Peace out....

icegif-601.gif

We need a block button like my hot rod forum.....

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,709 posts
  • 381 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:03 PM

To the Surprise of No One

Virginia Boar's Head Plant To Close.

https://www.cnn.com/...call/index.html  

Boar’s Head will close the Virginia plant that produced deli meat tied to a deadly listeria outbreak, the company said on Friday.

The move is part of several changes made following what it called a “dark moment in our company’s history.” Boar’s Head said it will permanently discontinue sales of liverwurst after an investigation found its production process was the root cause of the listeria contamination. It will also implement a companywide food safety program, appoint a new food safety officer and bring on food safety council made up of independent industry experts, including former officials from the US Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration.

We remain steadfast in our commitment to our customers and to the safety and quality of our products,” the company said in a letter to consumers. “We are determined to learn from this experience and emerge stronger.

The Boar’s Head plant in Jarratt, Virginia, has not been operational since July, when the liverwurst recall was first announced and then expanded to include all products made at the plant.

US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service reports from the facility have described insects, mold, “blood in puddles on the floor” and a “rancid smell in the cooler” at various points since 2022. Another report from 2022 cited “major deficiencies” with the plant’s physical conditions — rusty equipment, peeling and flaking paint, loose caulk, holes in walls, product residue on surfaces and dripping condensation — that posed an “imminent threat.” The reports said plant management was notified and directed to take corrective action.

But a USDA suspension notice for the Virginia facility shared by Boar’s Head on Friday describes “inadequate” controls and sanitation that allowed equipment and employees to move throughout the facility, potentially spreading bacteria.

• FSIS said this week that its investigation would include a “holistic look at Boar’s Head establishments across the country” and consideration of lessons that could be “more broadly applied to ready-to-eat meat and poultry facilities.”

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 57 people have been hospitalized in 18 states in connection with the Boar’s Head listeria outbreak, and nine people have died. The agency called it the largest listeria outbreak since one linked to cantaloupe in 2011.

The actual number of illnesses is probably higher than what’s been reported because some people may have had milder illnesses and were not tested for listeria, the CDC said. The agency continues to advise consumers to check their kitchens for recalled products, which have “EST. 12612” or “P-12612” inside the USDA mark of inspection on labels and have sell-by dates into October 2024.

Edited by Setanta, 13 September 2024 - 06:07 PM.

-Setanta         

Seathalos

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 4 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:12 PM

To the Surprise of No One

Virginia Boars' Head Plant To Close.

https://www.cnn.com/...call/index.html

Not surprising but still upsetting. It is wild how people refuse to focus on having a sustainable facility that is still profitable in the long run then to have short term profits that after a major issue like this mean nothing. 

I hope for the best for the frontline workers effected by this closure. Honestly hope there is a major shift in US culture and policy that will limit the harm that these businesses are causing to our communities.

kconf

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:43 PM

How sad from every angle...

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 694 posts
  • 135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 September 2024 - 02:55 PM

But a USDA suspension notice for the Virginia facility shared by Boar’s Head on Friday describes “inadequate” controls and sanitation that allowed equipment and employees to move throughout the facility, potentially spreading bacteria.

• FSIS said this week that its investigation would include a “holistic look at Boar’s Head establishments across the country” and consideration of lessons that could be “more broadly applied to ready-to-eat meat and poultry facilities.”

Some extra details in the EIAO report where they declare USDA inspection is being withdrawn, its sounds like a few points of "do what you say" in their sanitation and GMP programs weren't happening as written.  An indicator of lax food safety culture, and perhaps lack of "management support".  For anyone not familiar with USDA inspection, this is effectively saying "we're shutting you down" -- it's illegal to sell products manufactured "without the benefit of inspection" -- and explains why the plant has been shut down since then.

I'm curious about the timing for this report, they were under an "administrative action" with the EIAO, and increased testing, but what triggered the audit?  

Why is this thread in the FDA section?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 413 posts
  • 96 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 22 September 2024 - 11:35 PM

Since 2022?!  Plenty of time to get this under control before it harmed people.  And why wasn't the USDA pushing for this to be corrected or shutting them down back then?  I worked for a simply bakery of products that were frozen and specifically remember the inspectors if they saw something and it wasn't corrected, they would say we can shut the line and the plant down if need be.  It never ever came to that, but I remember them reminding new plant managers and production leads who thought they were 'hot shots' of this.

Seathalos

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 4 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 September 2024 - 05:53 PM

Since 2022?!  Plenty of time to get this under control before it harmed people.  And why wasn't the USDA pushing for this to be corrected or shutting them down back then?  I worked for a simply bakery of products that were frozen and specifically remember the inspectors if they saw something and it wasn't corrected, they would say we can shut the line and the plant down if need be.  It never ever came to that, but I remember them reminding new plant managers and production leads who thought they were 'hot shots' of this.

I think a good amount of it the the consistent removal of regulatory bodies teeth. Especially with a Judicial system that can decide to make legislation with no real fear of repercussions, which makes having a stronger arm for said regulatory bodies have the chance of losing the limited oversight they have if a corporation decides to try to take them to the USSC. Which would lead to them having far less control over the safety and health than the already limited amount the currently have. 

The US will more than likely continue to have these types of issues until it actually takes it seriously and gives repercussions to those that allow the harm to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if not much changes in Boar's Head's production process and they do their best to just distance themselves from the situation instead of treating the problems.

Seathalos

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 4 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 September 2024 - 08:02 PM

Not having a sanitation Supervisor until 2023 is absolutely appalling for a company the size of Boar's Head. Additionally, it is unsurprising that they were let go after only 8 months after trying to implement modernization of sanitation practices to the plant. Honestly baffling that these issues keep happening. When will senior management and executives learn that it is far cheaper in the long run to do the right thing than to try to squeeze as much short term profits as possible by disregarding safety.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 694 posts
  • 135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 September 2024 - 09:14 PM

Not having a sanitation Supervisor until 2023 is absolutely appalling for a company the size of Boar's Head. Additionally, it is unsurprising that they were let go after only 8 months after trying to implement modernization of sanitation practices to the plant. Honestly baffling that these issues keep happening. When will senior management and executives learn that it is far cheaper in the long run to do the right thing than to try to squeeze as much short term profits as possible by disregarding safety.

What does "supervisor" even mean in this context?  Above a lackey but below an emperor?  Don't know the guy personally, but holding the job for less than a year doesn't really help his claims -- and he has personal incentive to want to paint the situation as "they're bad, I'm good". 

Boar's Head isn't really putting info out to actively manage the perception in their favor though.  They published the NRs, but most people don't understand half of what is being said, and will interpret it for the worse.

One thing I see a lot of people in a tizzy over is the "puddle of blood" comment from one of the NRs, and it pops up in this article too.  Its really a nothingburger of an observation from what I can tell.  This isn't a slaughter plant, so I'd bet it wasn't a puddle of blood in the first place, but purge.

FlorianZ4

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 24 September 2024 - 09:25 AM

Hey, I totally agree with your frustration, especially with food safety standards.We always talk about continuous improvement but when stuff like this happens, it feels like some companies are just untouchable.They really should be more accountable!Especially when lives are on the lineSometimes authorities and companies just sweep things under the rug to avoid losses.We’re the ones on the front line, facing audits and pressure every day.It’s worth taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture  :rock: 

Seathalos

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 4 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2024 - 11:42 AM

What does "supervisor" even mean in this context?  Above a lackey but below an emperor?  Don't know the guy personally, but holding the job for less than a year doesn't really help his claims -- and he has personal incentive to want to paint the situation as "they're bad, I'm good". 

Boar's Head isn't really putting info out to actively manage the perception in their favor though.  They published the NRs, but most people don't understand half of what is being said, and will interpret it for the worse.

One thing I see a lot of people in a tizzy over is the "puddle of blood" comment from one of the NRs, and it pops up in this article too.  Its really a nothingburger of an observation from what I can tell.  This isn't a slaughter plant, so I'd bet it wasn't a puddle of blood in the first place, but purge.

A person that maintains and improves sanitation plans to make sure they are following GMP and having a sanitary environment for food production. And if they were actually pushing for improvements in the system and updating sanitation it could easily be they were fired because the upper management didn't want to listen to them. It happens in every industry more often than you would hope where a person trying to fix the issues gets reprimanded because upper management doesn't either see it as a problem or views the fix as too costly. Especially with Virginia being a "Right to Work" state, don't really need a true reason to fire someone, and they could put down whatever they want as a reason for termination with very little recourse. 

Yes the average person is going to be in a tizzy over the usage of "pool of blood" but there is also far more NCs that they had, from mold, smell of objects rotting, discolored meat build-up, and quite a few other issues. And someone speaking on their experiences isn't really saying "they're bad, I'm good" but putting more context to what lead to the situation before us.

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 272 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 24 September 2024 - 03:57 PM

The article linked states his job title was "Sanitation Manager" FYI. Not that it changes anything much. I do have to wonder who was in charge of sanitation prior to hiring a specific manager. At my previous place, it was the QA Department, but we were significantly smaller than BH and didn't do anything with meat. I would think any place dealing with high-risk and RTE foods like meat would have a full-time Sanitation Manager?

However, I'm inclined to believe him when he says that long-term employees were resistant to improvements or change in the sanitation system, based on my own experiences. Although I am curious to what the conflict was that lead to his termination...maybe Boar's Head wanted an easy fall guy to take the blame for a failure of their food safety culture and food safety system.

I do think that if a company with multiple sites has a circumstance like this, law should dictate that FDA/USDA/FSIS/etc. should immediately inspect all of the company's related facilities across the country. Is the lack of sanitation a site-specific thing, or is it corporate-level?

You can see the FDA imply this in their letter to Quaker Oats (Pepsi/FritoLay) about the Danville, IL plant--how shutting down the aged plant doesn't mean that the agency will not want to look at their other facilities in the US, and that Pepsi should be inspecting those sites to ensure they're in good sanitary condition.

I think such a law/regulation would be a good preventative measure that could help avoid future recalls such as these.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users