What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

FDA and NIST Handbook 133

Started by , Aug 22 2024 05:50 PM
3 Replies

Hello,

Currently navigating an issue in which a member of senoir leadership is looking for a definitive statement by the FDA that says to use NIST handbook 133 for determining food ingredient MAV.  So far I've found that 9 CFR 442 states this, but it looks like it only applies to animal products and not chemical food ingredients. Is there anywhere else in the regulations that points specifically to NIST 133? 

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Employee handbook and policies NIST Handbook 133 Checking the Net Contents of Packaged Goods Contents of an Employee Handbook NSF Certified vs NIST Traceable If we had NIST Certified Thermometers would we still need weekly calibration?
[Ad]

Hello,

Currently navigating an issue in which a member of senoir leadership is looking for a definitive statement by the FDA that says to use NIST handbook 133 for determining food ingredient MAV.  So far I've found that 9 CFR 442 states this, but it looks like it only applies to animal products and not chemical food ingredients. Is there anywhere else in the regulations that points specifically to NIST 133?

I don't quite understand, is this person looking for alternative MAV guidelines? Most meats/protein would be under USDA, where as the FDA is a little more general in those regards. I'd maybe reiterate the importance of NIST... 

Basically, they are trying to get evidence against using the NIST handbook to establish a wider product range than what is allowed, and I am trying to collect evidence to show that we need to adhere to the NIST requirements.

21 CFR 101.7 q

2023 NIST Handbook p. 155 Appendix A Table 1-1

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Employee handbook and policies NIST Handbook 133 Checking the Net Contents of Packaged Goods Contents of an Employee Handbook NSF Certified vs NIST Traceable If we had NIST Certified Thermometers would we still need weekly calibration? How did NIST came up with their MAV tables for FDA products? New Quality handbook made by consultant for BRC Issue 8 is not correct NIST certified thermometers-best economical choice. HACCP Handbook, Guidelines on HACCP, GMP and GHP ISO published new handbook: How to use ISO 22000