Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 August 2024 - 06:49 PM

I was hoping to get some insight on this. We have a new facility that was built but unfortunately i am seeing drain pipes directly go into the trench drains. I was told by a former colleague that there are requirement for drain pipes that they need to be so many inches above the drain to avoid cross contamination I cannot find this anywhere. I want to make sure maintenance understands this and we get this corrected before our SQF. I have had no luck finding a requirement. Any help would be appreciated.

lillabec

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 August 2024 - 07:01 PM

Hi surefresh! I just have a question - I assume these pipes would need to be cleaned somehow? Is there a method to test that the pipe is clean when it leads directly into a trench? In the case of CIP I would want the pipe to end before the drain so I could take a water sample.

lillabec

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 August 2024 - 07:18 PM

Also, I believe what your former colleague was referring to is an "air gap" and it is best practice to have them to avoid contamination from the drain and backflow.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 765 posts
  • 207 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 August 2024 - 07:23 PM

I’ve never heard of a specific inch requirement in SQF, and couldn’t find one when I looked again just now. SQF is notorious for saying things like “must comply with local codes” when it comes to these types of things, I think so they don’t pigeonhole you into having a conflict.

Maybe check with your local health department. In all the plants I’ve been into, the pipes entering a trench drain always go below the top of the trench to prevent side spills but always remain high enough that the water in the trench doesn’t touch or backup into the pipe. I think the risk here is that trench water touches the pipe and allows for pathogens to enter the pipe, which leads to god knows what (sanitary holding tanks, wash sinks, etc). Obviously standing water in a trench would be bad, but sometimes these trenches can have high water levels during routine use and draining from the equipment feeding into them. I would mainly make sure the pipe is low enough to not splash outside and high enough not to be submerged under the worst use scenarios.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,836 posts
  • 1165 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 19 August 2024 - 08:18 PM

I am not aware of a specific requirement - however, I am fully aware of the problem as I used to inspect the food service operations of some of the big box stores like Target, Sams Clubs and Supermarkets  - all of which had ice machines.  It was  uncanny how many of these locations lacked an AIR GAP and thus had the potential for back-sucking (backflow) whatever was in the drain back up into the ice machines - thus, all sort of bacteria/pathogens go thru the machine and end up in the ice that people get in their drinks.

All of these locations along with restaurants all seemed to have the same requirement in their standards manuals, but many did not follow it - the AIR GAP was normally 1.5 to 3 inches above the drain plate - the higher had a hole in the plates matching the diameter of the drain outflow pipe - thus avoiding splash.

On the inspections for these chain stores this was an automatic Major on sight - but autmatically generated a shut-down order if back sucking was suspected/or present.

Years ago, I ordered an iced tea at a restaurant in Jersey and as I raised the glass to my lips I smelled sewage - sure enough, their drain outlets lacked AIR GAPS.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users