• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 August 2024 - 01:29 PM

Hi ,

Can anyone please explain what does 'Exceptions for bulk or agricultural crop materials shall be documented in the food safety management system' under clause 5.7 of ISOISO/TS/TS 22002-1:2009 mean?.

lillabec

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 August 2024 - 02:46 PM

Now I don't know really anything about ISO but I read the clause and MIGHT have an idea of what this means. 

I'm assuming that when it comes to bulk storage (such as in silos, etc?) it isn't possible to do things such as leave sufficient space between the walls to allow for inspections, pest control activities since in an example of like, corn in a silo, it's kinda just "sitting" in the silo, you can't keep it off of the walls.

Also edit to say it's crazy that I can't find ANY guidance on this online or even in my whole company's files? That's rough.

Edited by lillabec, 19 August 2024 - 02:47 PM.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,355 posts
  • 1320 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted Yesterday, 04:37 AM

Hi rams,

Section 5.7 Storage of food, packaging materials, ingredients and non-food chemicals prescribes the prerequisites for the storage of food, packaging materials, ingredients and non-food chemicals.

Bulk storage may be different and so you will need to describe in your food safety management system how you deal this. Good Practice would be in Silo or warehoused in a bulk container or bagged and stacked on a pallet for example.

I believe that this is to discourage storage of these materials on the floor or outside or both unless adequately protected.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users