What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRC Issue 9 Guidance on a smokehouse oven

Started by , Today, 05:48 PM
5 Replies

Hello,

We used to be BRC certified, and have high-risk and low-risk areas, as well as one room that we had a smokehouse oven in with only one entry/exit point to that oven, so meat goes in raw, comes out smoked and cooked. I remember prior to Issue 9, there was guidance in the guidance documents that it was allowable with a cleanup, verified, etc. But I believe Issue 9 had a new guidance document that said there had to be a plan to replace it. I don't have access to the guidance documents any more, and can't find them if I downloaded them, but I was wondering if someone could verify this, as my boss is asking if we could get BRC certified once again. Thanks in advance for the help!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Seeking Guidance on Legalizing Documents for Exporting Dietary Supplements to Kuwait Guidance on Addressing SQF Compliance Issues for Contracted Storage Providers Guidance on Number of Actionable Process Steps for FDA-Compliant Food Defense Plan Seeking Guidance on SOPs or checklists for FSSC 22000 Version 6 Compliance
[Ad]

To replace what? 

To replace what? 

To replace the single door smokehouse (or oven, as applicable) with something that operates more as a pass-through. That way you don't mingle raw and cooked in the same room.

6.1.5 - says verification and validation at a frequency based on risk and performance of equipment.

Just curious - why does your boss want BRCGS again? 

No, I'm talking about designating high-risk areas. 8.1.2. The meat goes in the smokehouse raw, and comes out RTE and high-risk. There was guidance on 8.1.2 that allowed single door ovens for many iterations of BRC with proper methods of sanitizing, but I believe in Issue 9 it changed. That's what I'm asking about.

As far as going back to BRC, that's a long journey of a story.

It hasn't changed in that context. You do have a physical segregation between this room and the other area of the site, right? Just make sure you are disinfecting materials on entry. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Guidance on Using "Clean Label" for Imported Food Products Seeking Guidance on Legalizing Documents for Exporting Dietary Supplements to Kuwait Guidance on Addressing SQF Compliance Issues for Contracted Storage Providers Guidance on Number of Actionable Process Steps for FDA-Compliant Food Defense Plan Seeking Guidance on SOPs or checklists for FSSC 22000 Version 6 Compliance Preparation for BRC Issue 8 Lead Auditor Exam Could you pleae help to explain clause 3.4.1 in BRCGS Food Safety Standard Issue 8? BRCGS Packaging Materials Issue 7 Draft Traceability issue with product receiving? Guidance material for starting SQF implementation