• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Today, 05:48 PM

Hello,

We used to be BRC certified, and have high-risk and low-risk areas, as well as one room that we had a smokehouse oven in with only one entry/exit point to that oven, so meat goes in raw, comes out smoked and cooked. I remember prior to Issue 9, there was guidance in the guidance documents that it was allowable with a cleanup, verified, etc. But I believe Issue 9 had a new guidance document that said there had to be a plan to replace it. I don't have access to the guidance documents any more, and can't find them if I downloaded them, but I was wondering if someone could verify this, as my boss is asking if we could get BRC certified once again. Thanks in advance for the help!

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 124 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted Today, 05:53 PM

To replace what? 

bnlfanmatt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Today, 06:04 PM

To replace what? 

To replace the single door smokehouse (or oven, as applicable) with something that operates more as a pass-through. That way you don't mingle raw and cooked in the same room.

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 124 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted Today, 06:08 PM

6.1.5 - says verification and validation at a frequency based on risk and performance of equipment.

Just curious - why does your boss want BRCGS again? 

bnlfanmatt

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Today, 06:28 PM

No, I'm talking about designating high-risk areas. 8.1.2. The meat goes in the smokehouse raw, and comes out RTE and high-risk. There was guidance on 8.1.2 that allowed single door ovens for many iterations of BRC with proper methods of sanitizing, but I believe in Issue 9 it changed. That's what I'm asking about.

As far as going back to BRC, that's a long journey of a story.

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 124 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted Today, 06:35 PM

It hasn't changed in that context. You do have a physical segregation between this room and the other area of the site, right? Just make sure you are disinfecting materials on entry. 

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users