• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are hand dryers or paper towels preferred at handwashing sinks in a food production environment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic
- - - - -

BAkermanjr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2024 - 01:21 PM

We are coming up on our first SQF Audit to be done at the end of October.  While I know the scope states that we have to have handwashing sinks throughout the plant, which are all installed, what does the code state, or opinions of people who have done this, about the electric hand dryers, or if it's required for us to have a paper towel/trashcan set up at the sinks? 

Obviously, there are positives and negatives to both, just wondering what the general consensus is on this topic, before I spend the money either way.

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 August 2024 - 01:28 PM

The code allows you to have whichever you prefer. We use paper towels in our facility. 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 765 posts
  • 207 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2024 - 02:28 PM

Paper towels are used in every facility I've been with.  Air hand dryers are a hard no for me in production, nor even in bathrooms.  I've had auditors ask me whether I've considered air dryers, told them no, and every single one has said "good".  There are perceptions, backed by at least anecdotal research, that the water they blow onto the floor will test positive for pathogens.  Not to mention auditors have said companies will get called out for not swabbing the inside of their air hand dryers for potential pathogens.  If auditors I've dealt with are speaking this critically of devices I don't even have, I'm not allowing them in the building.

Edited by jfrey123, 14 August 2024 - 02:28 PM.

• G M likes this

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2024 - 03:27 PM

What module are you using?

12.3.2.3 (Storage and Distribution) states:

"Handwash stations shall be constructed of stainless steel or similar non-corrosive material and at a minimum supplied with: 
i. A potable water supply at an appropriate temperature; 
ii. Liquid soap; 
iii. Paper towels; and 
iv. A means of containing used paper towels.

An effective hand dryer may be used in instances where there is no direct hand contact of food or food contact surfaces."

Module 11 (Food Manufacturing) doesn't mention hand dryers:
11.3.2.3 Handwashing stations shall be constructed of stainless steel or similar non-corrosive
material and at a minimum supplied with:
i. A potable water supply at an appropriate temperature;
ii. Liquid soap contained within a fixed dispenser;
iii. Paper towels in a hands-free cleanable dispenser; and
iv. A means of containing used paper towels.

Thanked by 1 Member:

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 251 posts
  • 73 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 14 August 2024 - 03:39 PM

Paper towels all day every day. And they should be located immediately next to the sink, IMO. If personnel have to walk--even a few steps--you will end up with water all over the floor in-between the sinks and paper towel dispenser(s). Even if the water isn't a carrier of pathogens, it can become a slip and fall hazard, and you want to eliminate any possibility of that "easy money" workman's comp claim.

I like the "pull style" dispensers because you don't need to rely on a battery/sensor to keep working. Although if it's the type with the knob on the side you will have to make sure those are wiped down daily. 

I think that air dryers are discouraged mainly because personnel do not completely dry their hands and will then wipe them dry on their clothing, which can lead to recontamination of the hands. Even if the air dryers are cleaned daily and have a UV light, you will still get people who wipe their hands on their pants because they're impatient. And also UV light is not as effective at sanitizing uneven and grooved/wrinkly surfaces, so then you have to worry about teaching personnel how to dry their hands in the air dryer the "correct" way...total pain.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,836 posts
  • 1165 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 14 August 2024 - 03:58 PM

Paper towels.

Had a bakery that put them in and then asked me what I thought, I said pull them out and put the towels back unless you want to run a risk analysis and do routine sampling on the air that is blowing on peoples hands and then now and then test peoples hands.

Dryers do one thing - they dry peoples hands. Paper towels on the otherhand create a friction, where the towel will dry a hand but the friction aids in additional cleaning of the skin surface.

The bakery got mad at me for telling them to take 25 dryers out (oh the expense!) so they decided to have a study done to prove me wrong (oh the added expense.)

They took them out and replaced with paper towels.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 14 August 2024 - 03:59 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 60 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2024 - 09:04 PM

I have a different take on this as I have used Dyson hand dryers at the main handwash station at a plant and removed paper towels altogether at this location.  There were single hand sinks at operator sites that still had paper towels as these were in close proximity to processing. 

Considerations we reviewed were:

1. Change the HEPA filters at a rate that is half of their expected life. 

2. Yes swab them and collect air samples, incorporate into your EMP.  We also swabbed hands periodically when this was implemented.  

3. Add a drip pan to the bottom of the equipment to collect the drip and excess water, we also included a sponge to soak this up. 

4. Have them cleaned at least one per shift including the sponge and tray. 

5. Risk assess everything. 

This may not work for all sites as our main handwash station was well away from any processing area and we did consider the risks in the operator stations which was why we kept the paper towels in those sites.    

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 633 posts
  • 123 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2024 - 09:21 PM

Dryers do one thing - they dry peoples hands. Paper towels on the otherhand create a friction, where the towel will dry a hand but the friction aids in additional cleaning of the skin surface.

^^ The value of drying with friction is not to be underestimated.  In the early days of covid I needed to advise on whether or not we needed to change our food safety handwashing procedures, so I read a lot of related literature.  One of the big takeaways I remember from once-upon-a-time came from a couple research papers that broke down the handwashing process to quantify which elements were responsible for the outcome of reduced bacterial load on the skin. 

Roughly speaking, from a normal "hands look clean" starting point, pre-rinsing under running water including rubbing hands together for friction, and the later step of drying hands with friction by disposable paper towels were both responsible for a little over 1-log reduction in the bacterial load (which amounted to around 40% of the total reduction).

By comparison the air dryers had very little effect in reducing bacterial load -- they supply a medium, air, but not the incentive to generate friction.  Friction plus a medium to carry away displaced residue made the difference.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,355 posts
  • 1322 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 August 2024 - 05:32 AM

Hi BAkermanjr,

Since the SQF Food Safety Code refers to Paper Towels, that is what I would go with.

Although there hasn’t been enough conclusive evidence either way, see the link below.

Comparison of electric hand dryers and paper towels for hand hygiene: a critical review of the literature

Inconclusive and conflicting results represent data gaps preventing the advancement of hand‐drying policy or practice recommendations.

Other standards state: ‘Single-use towels or suitably designed and located air driers.’ There has been some discussion on this previously in Automatic "hands in" hand dryers in food manufacturing

I certainly wouldn’t be removing 25 dryers as per Glenn’s post as he changes his mind with the weather (Yes, I have my polite head on today). In the above topic he wrote:

‘I have two clients that have been able to justify their use in both high and low risk environments.

Both clients do twice a year air testing with initial risk analysis completed.

Auditors have accepted them without issue.

I agree with GMO on aerosols - years back I would not have, however air testing and innovation on the units themselves have changed my mind.’

I feel that most people are of the view that the safer option is to use paper towels. Some people also claim the use of paper towels is quicker and/or more effective for drying hands, so reducing the probability of someone finishing off drying their hands on their clothing/workwear.

Another good point made by GMO in the above topic is regarding the number of hand dryers required:

‘My main concern is about handwashing compliance and the risk of people drying their hands inadequately.  Try using one of the dryers and timing it and compare it with drying hands with a paper towel.  To get to an acceptable level of dryness I'd wager the hand dryer is slower.  If it's slower, people will not dry their hands fully in it.  if you're still dead set on going for it, then ensure you install enough so that when your entire shift enter the factory, they're not waiting.’

Kind regards,

Tony

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 August 2024 - 11:32 AM

I have a different take on this as I have used Dyson hand dryers at the main handwash station at a plant and removed paper towels altogether at this location.  There were single hand sinks at operator sites that still had paper towels as these were in close proximity to processing. 

Considerations we reviewed were:

1. Change the HEPA filters at a rate that is half of their expected life. 

2. Yes swab them and collect air samples, incorporate into your EMP.  We also swabbed hands periodically when this was implemented.  

3. Add a drip pan to the bottom of the equipment to collect the drip and excess water, we also included a sponge to soak this up. 

4. Have them cleaned at least one per shift including the sponge and tray. 

5. Risk assess everything. 

This may not work for all sites as our main handwash station was well away from any processing area and we did consider the risks in the operator stations which was why we kept the paper towels in those sites.    

That's good, but does not sound cost effective. What was your drive to implement this change? More environment friendly? 

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 60 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2024 - 03:32 PM

That's good, but does not sound cost effective. What was your drive to implement this change? More environment friendly? 

Actually there was a solid ROI on implementing the hand dryers.  This came from waste services as we didn't have to have as many scheduled pick ups of all the collected used paper towels, less purchasing of paper towels, and less labor to remove them from the processing areas.  The hand dryers paid for themselves in less than 6 months.  The added bonus was the environmental factor.  

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 August 2024 - 03:43 PM

Paper towels must be really expensive in CA. ;) 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,836 posts
  • 1165 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 15 August 2024 - 03:57 PM

Tony said in part --- "I certainly wouldn’t be removing 25 dryers as per Glenn’s post as he changes his mind with the weather (Yes, I have my polite head on today)"

----- Actually Tony, it's none of my FQQKing business what you think of me - let's get that straight, could not care less.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 60 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2024 - 04:11 PM

Paper towels must be really expensive in CA. ;)

Yep, so is labor, and waste services, actually everything for that matter.   :shutup:  :helpplease:

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 251 posts
  • 73 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 15 August 2024 - 04:19 PM

Yep, so is labor, and waste services, actually everything for that matter.   :shutup:  :helpplease:

Are the drip-catch sponges reusable? It would be interesting to hear how those would be sanitized. I'm picturing something like a Pig mat/pad in my mind.

How much do the HEPA filters run you? I thought it would be pretty expensive if you're only using them for half their stated life.

-Christina

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 60 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2024 - 05:59 PM

Are the drip-catch sponges reusable? It would be interesting to hear how those would be sanitized. I'm picturing something like a Pig mat/pad in my mind.

How much do the HEPA filters run you? I thought it would be pretty expensive if you're only using them for half their stated life.

Yes they were reusable we used a typical large sponge  (https://www.uline.co...M-Jumbo-Sponges) and also a pig mat that wasn't reused.  Sponges were swapped out per shift and ran through a wet cleaning cycle (180°F water temp and a soak in 400ppm quat sanitizer).  We had extra sponges on hand to swap out during the per shift cleaning.  

Hepa filters were fairly economic an ran from $25-35 US.  We had 4 hand dryers in total which were the dyson air blade.  (https://www.lb.dyson...irblade-db.aspx)

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 August 2024 - 06:04 PM

Savings are incredible. Good for you! 

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Senior
  • 251 posts
  • 73 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 August 2024 - 03:08 PM

Yes they were reusable we used a typical large sponge  (https://www.uline.co...M-Jumbo-Sponges) and also a pig mat that wasn't reused.  Sponges were swapped out per shift and ran through a wet cleaning cycle (180°F water temp and a soak in 400ppm quat sanitizer).  We had extra sponges on hand to swap out during the per shift cleaning.  

Hepa filters were fairly economic an ran from $25-35 US.  We had 4 hand dryers in total which were the dyson air blade.  (https://www.lb.dyson...irblade-db.aspx)

Thanks for replying and sharing your process! That seems like an effective setup.

-Christina

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users