• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Good afternoon,

We manufacture a range of ambient stir-fry sauces. The product has a historical 6-month shelf life. We have conducted extensive micro and organoleptic tests, all of which have produced very good results, even beyond the 6-month shelf life.

Recently, we underwent an audit where the auditor requested the shelf life study for the products in question. Since these products are historical, I was unable to locate and provide the study. Instead, I presented the micro and organoleptic results. However, this information was not sufficient.

As a result of the audit findings, we have been requested to carry out an effective shelf life determination. This includes estimating, setting, and verifying the safety of the ambient sauces throughout their shelf life. We need to demonstrate that the food will maintain its safety and quality until the end of the determined shelf life duration. This requires providing supporting information on product characteristics, along with any relevant scientific literature or best practice guidance.

To address the non-conformance, I will need to complete a full study to demonstrate how we have determined the 6-month shelf life, despite having the micro and organoleptic results to support it.

Does anyone have a Shelf Life Study template they could share, or any advice or examples that would help?

Many Thanks

Martyn 

kconf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Hi Martyn,

Usually the labs that offer micro testing also conduct shelf life study. I would just reach out to them and order shelf life study test. At the end, you should expect a formal report concluding the lifespan of your product.

I am surprised that your data was not sufficient to your auditor because that's how it is determined. What was your data at 6 months and beyond?  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,833 posts
  • 1161 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

I realize that you may want to get it done and get it out of the way, however I find the gig by the Auditor to be over reaching. Did you challenge the finding at all, cause it's normally an expensive process.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

Dorothy87

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques, Art, Sailing

Posted Today, 07:25 AM

Hi Martyn ;) 

Please share auditor background.... seems like M&S or Sainsburys... 

;) 

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users