What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to Effectively Implement and Monitor Heat-Sealed Packaging as a CCP in HACCP Plan?

Started by , Aug 06 2024 12:01 PM
6 Replies

We manufacture marinated cooked meat products that are gas flushed and heat sealed. Having reviewed the HACCP we believe it packing in gas flushed trays should be a CCP, previously it wasnt and the HACCP wasnt really robust. 

Were a small facitlity so my questions are:

How should we check the seals?

What frequency should we test 

How would we document it? 

Would the critical limit be no damaged seals/ failed seals?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
primary packaging vs secondary packaging Laboratory proficiency testing and plan HARA Plan for Raw Materials in Food Packaging SQF Food Packaging and false Nails Do we need to include addictive/preservative on process flow chart or HACCP plan
[Ad]

Visual inspection of random bags. You can do it either every 30 mins or every 10 boxes (depending on your packaging volume). Include it in your line log. 

If it passes - tick mark. 

Why are you considering this a CCP?  Isnt cooking controlling the hazard?  controlling a hazard after cooking?

There are inline inspection devices as well as off line chamber type inspection devices for food package seal testing.  not sure if they are applicable to your process.  

In the case of MAP packaging, I would think that checking the gas level would be something that you would want to do as well.  IE good seal doesnt neccesarily mean gas concentration is correct.  or does it in your application?

We don't cook the product. 

We buy in cooked meat, open it/defrost it and mix it with either flavour seasoning or mayonnaise/ sauces etc

Its then packed into a tray with gas flush & seal.

I don't think we test the amount of gas we put in, we use nitrogen co2 mix

We don't cook the product. 

We buy in cooked meat, open it/defrost it and mix it with either flavour seasoning or mayonnaise/ sauces etc

Its then packed into a tray with gas flush & seal.

I don't think we test the amount of gas we put in, we use nitrogen co2 mix

I understand.  

if you were going to decare it as a CCP,  my thought would be that you would need know and verify the gas concentrations as well.   Have validation white paper or study proving it is effective at controlling the hazard, etc

old links below discussing MAP and CCPs may be of intrest to you.  

https://www.ifsqn.co...9-map-as-a-ccp/

https://www.ifsqn.co...water-activity/

https://www.ifsqn.co...bbed-meats-ccp/

I wouldn't use gas readings as a CCP. Have it as a SOP. Adding CO2/Nitrogen improves the quality/shelf life. If you didn't do it and used residual air, your product would still be safe to eat. 

Use a CO/O2 meter to test gas readings. Seal check - visual check. You can buy a ' water burst tank' but not required. We seal raw chicken, beef and pork. If a seal isn't 100% - the raw beef makes the hugest difference (color change). We only use our burst tank for raw beef items. The chicken and pork - no color change if there is a minor leak.  

The company that your sealer machine is from - they are a valuable source for information. They've helped us a lot over the years. 

1 Like
This isn't a critical control point as it is done for quality purposes (i.e. to extend shelf-life).

Remember to ensure that Clostridum Botulinum is considered as a hazard, and if you are selling in the UK market that the product does not have a use-by of more than 10 days, including any days from the date of packing from your supplier if they also Vac/MAP the product, unless it meets the required hurdles.
1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
primary packaging vs secondary packaging Laboratory proficiency testing and plan HARA Plan for Raw Materials in Food Packaging SQF Food Packaging and false Nails Do we need to include addictive/preservative on process flow chart or HACCP plan How Can I Reduce the Frequency of HACCP Deviation Reports? Do Bottling Lines Necessitate Separate HACCP Plans? Validating HACCP CCP - In Line Screen Filter Can anyone suggest an effective tool to monitor supplier performances on an ongoing basis? BRCGS Packaging Materials Issue 7 - Launch webinar 28th October 2024