• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to Address and Resolve Water Quality Issues in a Food Manufacturing Facility

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

kUKoo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2024 - 06:47 PM

Hi,

I'm doing it in my free time as I can't get anyone to commit to the problem.

I have done some reading but that is way insufficient and I have too many gaps to fill.

Here we go:

- water within factory is used to: wash hand, drink, clean food contact surfaces,

- old factory,

- water fails on several tests, differently in different points: pseudomonas aeruginosa [triple digits], enterococci [up to triple], coliforms [triple], the results were confirmed, TVC high

- some points are perfectly clear

- E.coli  - so far no point failed on it

- no checks on salmonella nor listeria

- how do I choose a water testing points within the factory [some points are next to each other but come from the different legs, that I can't establish a source of [no water system plan to my knowledge] - should I check all points in use?

- I was advised by a lab leaflet to remove any attachments to test the water, how does it relate to the water results failing being polluted by a dirty attachment? Should the water be tested both ways to establish the source of the problem?

- it is water provider supply

- what the water tests suits  are advised in the UK for a food manufacturer

I do it for my self improvement and any help will be appreciated.

Edited by kUKoo, 05 August 2024 - 06:52 PM.

kconf

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 292 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 August 2024 - 06:53 PM

Yes, they should all pass. You need to find out why they vary so much and go from there. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,462 posts
  • 1345 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 06 August 2024 - 06:05 AM

Hi kUKoo,

This sounds like a disaster wating to happen. Water should be tested at point of use with any attachments. Flush the system before taking a sample.

Standard tests include:

TVC

Coliforms/Enterobacteriaceae

E.coli

Is this a mains water supply to the facility? Are you checking residual chlorine levels?

Kind regards,

Tony

My Next Live Training Webinar is: Practical HACCP Training for Food Safety Teams on Tuesday, October 22, 2024 - Great value at only $97USD per person.

Celebrating 15 years of IFSQN Implementation Packages: IFSQN BRC, FSSC 22000, IFS, ISO 22000, SQF (Food, Packaging, Storage & Distribution) Implementation Packages - The Easy Way to Certification

Thanked by 1 Member:

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 August 2024 - 12:52 PM

We replace all attachments annually just in case.   Also, what's your backflow device situation?   Backflow protect everything.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kUKoo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2024 - 03:21 PM

Hi kUKoo,

This sounds like a disaster wating to happen. Water should be tested at point of use with any attachments. Flush the system before taking a sample.

Standard tests include:

TVC

Coliforms/Enterobacteriaceae

E.coli

Is this a mains water supply to the facility? Are you checking residual chlorine levels?

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure should I name everyone in one reply, you can let me know.

The number of and the type of tests is OK, it was set up time ago, but well, the review is neglected.

I don't want to go into certain details for obvious reasons.

What my plan is, is to be a fireman that tries to put out some fires. I have no exp in running this branch, I learn from sources including our contract lab / gov website but I lack insight and there is no one with better exp than mine anyway.

Can I help this place to run? I have no ambition to fix the place that is not my business.

Can I help to protect folks that work there/ customers and gain some good exp while putting out the fires: I strongly believe.

>Also, what's your backflow device situation?

Need to check yet, but that might be challenging since the engineers rotate a lot

>Is this a mains water supply to the facility?

do you mean the check point  at the beginning of the water supply? no I have only checked the outlets on a rotation  list

or do you mean is it the main water supply - it is one and the only water supply to the factory, branching off, no wells

>Yes, they should all pass. You need to find out why they vary so much and go from there.

do you mean that any water outlet that has a running water and is not blanked off, should be on a rotation?

>Are you checking residual chlorine levels?

there is nothing in SOP to check anything besides above micro, no indication to check lead [old factory], get metals from supplier, nor listeria where should be - although I have seen someone was doing listeria  couple months ago

>This sounds like a disaster wating to happen

myself I do not drink the water there and want to do some good but the water checks is the only 1 from my big task list there

Apologies for infrequent replies. I do it in my private time [for now anyway].

PS. since last time, I have received positive results with e.coli on 1 point

Edited by kUKoo, 08 August 2024 - 03:23 PM.

kUKoo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2024 - 05:36 PM

BTW I can use some budget on not prescribed activities as long as they are not too expensive.

From your suggestions, I should do a water chemistry, how do I choose a point[s].

Is there any guide/book I can get to guide me trough the process that would involve:

- a water supply quality in foods

- ATP testing

As much as I like the videos, they take too much time to extract the knowledge.

Edited by kUKoo, 08 August 2024 - 05:38 PM.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 717 posts
  • 137 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 August 2024 - 06:43 PM

From your suggestions, I should do a water chemistry, how do I choose a point[s].

If its the first such test, you can aggregate multiple points and take your sample from that.  If there are any elevated levels you might consider further testing, but if all results are low it may not be necessary.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users