What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can a Biscuit with Vegetable Fats and Additional Ingredients Be Labeled as "Shortbread" in the USA?

Started by , Aug 05 2024 02:25 PM
3 Replies

Hi all, 

We're exporting some English-made biscuits to USA. The importer / agent insists on renaming one of them as shortbread, which in UK would be considered a wrongful claim, as the biscuit isn't made as per traditional shortbread recipe, i.e., flour, butter, sugar (the one we make and sell has a bunch of other ingredients in, and is also made with veg fats instead of butter).

The question is - can a biscuit like this be called shortbread in USA from claims perspective? Is there any definition in USA as to what a shortbread is? 

Thanks. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Claims In Ingredients Lists Cadmium standard for Milkfish products composed of different ingredients FSSC 22000 V6.0 Additional Requirement 2.5.11 d) i Labeled Product for Export Only FSSC 22000 V6 Additional Requirement 2.5.11 Audit non conformance
[Ad]

You can still call it. Look at Nabisco shortbread cookies - no typical flour, butter, sugar as main ingredients. 

What you are looking for is called a "standard of identity"

They can be found here in 21 C.F.R. Chapter 1, Subchapter B, Parts 131-169.

As Kconf mentioned, there is no standard of identity for shortbread in the United States.

Here is a link to the specific part that deals with bakery products.

There are no results for the words "biscuit" or "shortbread"

21 CFR 136

https://www.ecfr.gov...pter-B/part-136

1 Like1 Thank

Fantastic, thank you so much, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Claims In Ingredients Lists Cadmium standard for Milkfish products composed of different ingredients FSSC 22000 V6.0 Additional Requirement 2.5.11 d) i Labeled Product for Export Only FSSC 22000 V6 Additional Requirement 2.5.11 Audit non conformance Scoops for Non-Allergen Ingredients Using Canola or vegetable oil post lethality FDA sub-ingredients: how many generations do we need to declare? Microbiological specifications for refined vegetable oils Proprietary Blend Ingredients