Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,660 posts
  • 1550 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 July 2024 - 12:31 PM

https://boarshead.co...ut/brandpillars   nothing here about food safety, perhaps they should have added that to one of the Pillars

Interestingly, the recall notice popped up when i first went to the website, now it's gone----------not sure about you , but that speaks absolute volumes to me

apparently, someone there needs to read the white papers on the maple leaf recall and how a company should OR should not handle a recall of this magnitude 

https://www.cnn.com/...eria/index.html

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,674 posts
  • 378 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 31 July 2024 - 12:42 PM

I get the regular webpage for a second then the pop-up appears about the recalls show.  Not a great way to do things. IMO

-Setanta         

salvatore bulgarella

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 31 July 2024 - 01:36 PM

https://boarshead.co...ut/brandpillars   nothing here about food safety, perhaps they should have added that to one of the Pillars

Interestingly, the recall notice popped up when i first went to the website, now it's gone----------not sure about you , but that speaks absolute volumes to me

apparently, someone there needs to read the white papers on the maple leaf recall and how a company should OR should not handle a recall of this magnitude 

https://www.cnn.com/...eria/index.html

I completely agree with you! It's shocking that food safety isn't one of their brand pillars, especially considering the recent recall. The fact that the recall notice disappeared from their website is even more concerning. It seems like they're trying to sweep it under the rug instead of being transparent and taking responsibility. You're right, they could learn a thing or two from the Maple Leaf recall and how it was handled. It's all about being proactive and prioritizing customer safety!

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 310 posts
  • 111 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 02:32 PM

Food safety and quality was always super-hardcore when dealing with their Brooklyn office.

Maybe not so much at the Virginia plant implicated.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,660 posts
  • 1550 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:01 PM

This particular line is SOOOOOOOOO telling   to me it reads like they've wiped their hands now that USDA is involved instead of taking proactive steps to mitigate the risk to the public

On Monday evening, July 29, 2024, we learned from the USDA that our Strassburger Brand Liverwurst has been linked to the national deli meat Listeria monocytogenes outbreak. Based on this new information, we took steps to ensure we are doing everything possible to protect public health.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 626 posts
  • 123 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:04 PM

Another 7 million pounds on top of the original 200k.  Ouch.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,674 posts
  • 378 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:16 PM

I predict Boar's Head will no longer be a brand.

-Setanta         

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Member
  • 248 posts
  • 73 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:24 PM

From what I've heard, Boar's Head has the affected products manufactured for them at a third-party facility.

If that facility makes products for other private labels, as well...

At most grocers, it could mean they have to dispose of other deli meats and cheeses, as well. The exposed products stored next to the BH deli meats in the display, for instance. I also don't believe those slicers at the deli counter are cleaned after each and every meat. Plus Listeria is only killed effectively with heat...Yikes.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 626 posts
  • 123 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:26 PM

Maybe they have good recall insurance.

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 310 posts
  • 111 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:28 PM

From what I've heard, Boar's Head has the affected products manufactured for them at a third-party facility.

If that facility makes products for other private labels, as well...

At most grocers, it could mean they have to dispose of other deli meats and cheeses, as well. The exposed products stored next to the BH deli meats in the display, for instance. I also don't believe those slicers at the deli counter are cleaned after each and every meat. Plus Listeria is only killed effectively with heat...Yikes.

This is the establishment number of the facility (well, first facility so far...)

Boar's Head Provisions Co., Inc. | Food Safety and Inspection Service (usda.gov)

• G M likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 310 posts
  • 111 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:33 PM

They need to let PR and legal take over any communications immediately, that's for sure.

Fun story - I was part of a company who had a 1+ million pound recall many moons ago.  We even contract manufactured items for BH.

Recall was in January - beginning of the year.  That calendar year, we ended up having our highest sales year to date.  

They need to get a firm grasp on this and quick.

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Member
  • 248 posts
  • 73 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:36 PM

This is the establishment number of the facility (well, first facility so far...)

Boar's Head Provisions Co., Inc. | Food Safety and Inspection Service (usda.gov)

Ah, same corporate ownership then? Oof. That's worse than I thought. So they can only point the finger at themselves in this case.

I haven't worked in the meat sector, but if these are all RTE products, wouldn't Listeria be an organism tested for regularly prior to product release (and shipment)? 

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 310 posts
  • 111 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:43 PM

Ah, same corporate ownership then? Oof. That's worse than I thought. So they can only point the finger at themselves in this case.

I haven't worked in the meat sector, but if these are all RTE products, wouldn't Listeria be an organism tested for regularly prior to product release (and shipment)? 

Smart manufacturers have moved to HPP, which would have taken care of this issue.

Regardless, they should have a listeria monitoring program if they are controlling listeria using Alternative 3, but test and hold is just a small part of that usually; most companies don't want to go through the trouble of n60 testing and hold/release of each lot.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users