• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does anyone have experience with Corbion Glaze?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Shrimper

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 11:47 AM

Good day everyone,

Our higher management has brought to our QC department's attention that we are interested in using something called Corbion glaze (please find the link below). I personally have never heard of this, but their website and what our management says is it extends shelf life ( we plan on doing a shelf life study prior to using this of course). I just wanted to reach out and see if any one on here has worked with/heard of Corbion before. If so:

• When in the process is the Corbion glaze applied?
  • What is the temperature of the glaze when applied?
  • Is the glaze used for seafood the same that is used for other proteins?  If not how is it different?

Your help is greatly appreciated! For reference, we are a seafood processor who deals mostly with raw shrimp but also does fish and breaded products. I believe this is intended for the raw shrimp however.

Best,

Shrimper

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,660 posts
  • 1550 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 July 2024 - 11:56 AM

I'm not seeing anything on the website that suggests use for shrimp.......and rosemary is a very potent flavour, so I would be concerned about flavour transfer

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,833 posts
  • 1161 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 06:10 PM

Corbin makes the modern day equal of Stay-White from 50 years ago - a powerful sulfite powder (that was finally banned due to health concerns) out of Cherries and Rosemary and depending on formula they use sugar cane and through a fermentation process produce algae which finds its way into their products.

Having been on shrimper boats on the Gulf and in raw shrimp processing plants in on the coast of LA I remember used amazing amounts of sulfite powder by the shovel full because there no set limit.

This is a step up from that, however do you really want the flavor of rosemary and other flavors that come with using it on your products.

Also, if you label non-gmo or organic using this glaze takes will violate that status as it is not non-gmo.

We witnessed a test of this at a shrimp processing facility - sprayers were used - after doing so and taste testing it was decided it was a no-go.

When you get down to it, it's basically asorbic acid.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users