Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 July 2024 - 01:51 PM

The new Costco audit guidelines require that companies use X-ray as part of the foreign material program. However, in our process we use metal detector because based on the ingredients and process is the most likely hazard to occur. If there any potential of plastic contamination are thin plastic bag pieces that I read can't be detected with a x-ray and for which we have controls to ensure minimize the risk.

So, for the following audit I need to find an expert on this matter to have the letter before the next audit. sooner the better.

Thank you for your help.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,850 posts
  • 1167 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Home now on Martha's Vineyard Island/Republic of these United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 07:30 PM

Yes, you can apply for an exemption from their expectation - keep in mind that an Expectancy is not an obligation or compelled performance. 

Interestingly enough I am presently (actually this afternoon) working on an exemption for a client right now.

You basically need to prove why an X-Ray would be unacceptable in your process and that the alternate is a metal detector.

Texture, density, etc come into play.

The specific so called "requirement" is for finished product - our client shipped their raw product where the killstep is actually done by the end user - be it a store or a customer of a store that takes it home and cooks/bakes it. It becomes a finished product once it is processed at store or home.

.... ha ha ha, and there's the out.  How things are worded in all these expectations by various companies is amazing to me, it's like shall & must as compared to should, would, could

Keep in mind that you will need an actual Costco generated exemption in hand and not just a letter from an "expert." for the audit.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC

Consulting on: SQF Food Safety System Development, Implementation & Certification

eConsultant Retainer | Internal Auditor Training | Corrective Action Avoidance | XRP & XLM

Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard Island, Massachussetts

Republic of these United States (restored)

www.GlennOster.com | 774.563.6161 | glenn@glennoster.com

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 651 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 July 2024 - 09:57 PM

The new Costco audit guidelines require that companies use X-ray as part of the foreign material program. However, in our process we use metal detector because based on the ingredients and process is the most likely hazard to occur. If there any potential of plastic contamination are thin plastic bag pieces that I read can't be detected with a x-ray and for which we have controls to ensure minimize the risk.

So, for the following audit I need to find an expert on this matter to have the letter before the next audit. sooner the better.

Thank you for your help.

To get that kind of exemption you'll probably want an xray equipment manufacturer or an equivalent expert to provide details on why your product is not suitable or compatible for X-ray inspection -- or that xray would not provide any additional safety.  I haven't heard you say anything that would support this conclusion yet.  Metal being "most likely" doesn't preclude other things like glass, stone, or unusual paramagnetic metals from being present that the a typical metal detector won't react to. 

Once you have that you'll need to provide it to your rep at Costco and get them to accept it.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users