What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Drinking Water in the production area

Started by , Yesterday, 05:20 PM
2 Replies

Before going for BRC certification for packaging materials, we allowed drinking of water at the production machines. I see in the standard that it can only be at a designated area away from equipment. Is it possible to bypass this using risk assessment? If so, how would I go about doing so?

We plan to provide bottles so that we can control the risk of spillage if that could help.

It would be difficult to make this change in our facility.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Drinking Water in Food Plant in clear bottle poses a safety risk in my facility Drinking Water analysis and tracing HACCP Work Sheet Sample for Drinking Straws Food Safety considerations of PLA Preform and Closures for Bottled Drinking Water Which BRC Accreditation should Drinking Straws come under?
[Ad]

You will need to make the change, spillage is the least of the worries.

Is the packaging exposed? Is it primary food-contact packaging (jars, bottles, pouches, etc.) or is it secondary packaging? While it's being produced, is the packaging covered or protected by machine guards or barriers? Are there designated spots adjacent to production machines for water bottles? Do you have requirements in place for water bottles in production areas?

We allow water only in clear plastic bottles with leak-proof attached closures along our production lines, but they must be kept on the bottom shelf of the worker's utility cart. No glass or metal bottles, no stanley cups or other such styles with straws. However, we are also very low-risk with no exposed food or exposed primary food-contact packaging.

Previously, I've had spray can/bottle racks (like for car garages) mounted outside of closed production rooms for easy access to water bottles (same requirements for bottle type/construction as above. There was a handwash sink just inside the production room for personnel to wash their hands after drinking. That was for acidified food production, and our BRC auditors never had an issue.

At a plastic bottle plant we had designated water fountains set at the lowest-risk areas on the production floor because the blow and injection machines, even with heat barriers, made it hot as hell year-round, but especially in summer. The area around the fountain was marked on the floor and labeled. Water stations had single-use paper cups, lidded bins, and hand sanitizer (a step to temporarily kill germs while employee walked over to the hand sink to wash up after drinking). SQF never had an issue with it.

You may be fine as long as you do a risk assessment, designate specific areas, establish firm rules on what types of bottles are allowed, train your staff, and enforce it (include checking on water bottles in your regular facility inspections).

Similar Discussion Topics
Drinking Water in Food Plant in clear bottle poses a safety risk in my facility Drinking Water analysis and tracing HACCP Work Sheet Sample for Drinking Straws Food Safety considerations of PLA Preform and Closures for Bottled Drinking Water Which BRC Accreditation should Drinking Straws come under? Treatment for water for drinking, cleaning and used as an ingredient SASO Unbottled Drinking Water Drinking Water Supplier Audit Checklist Is drinking in warehouse allowed if drinks are in a sealed container? Food fraud prevention for drinking water & carbonated soft drinks