• Quick Navigation
Photo

ENRICHED MACARONI PRODUCT...Which of the two CFRs is valid?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
- - - - -

JackBear

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted Yesterday, 03:55 PM

Good morning,

we should produce vitaminized pasta to export to the US market (ENRICHED MACARONI PRODUCT). We must respect the nutritional values ​​on the attached label. We would like to understand what the tolerances are, especially of the following micronutrients:
- Iron
- Niacin
- Folic acid
- Riboflavin
-Thiamin.
At the moment we have found 2 conflicting regulations:
1) CFR 101.9 Nutrition labeling of food, in the paragraph "(3) Two classes of nutrients are defined for purposes of compliance: (i) Class I. Added nutrients in fortified or manufactured foods"

2)CFR 139.115 Enriched macaroni products. in paragraph "(1) Each such food contains in each pound not less than 4.0 milligrams (mg) and not more than 5.0 mg of thiamin, not less than 1.7 mg and not more than 2.2 mg of riboflavin, not less than 27 mg and not more than 34 mg of niacin or niacinamide, not less than 0.9 mg and not more than 1.2 mg of folic acid, and not less than 13 mg and not more than 16.5 mg of iron (Fe);

Which of the two regulations must be respected? Are there any limits to overdosing on the 5 micronutrients mentioned above?

Unfortunately no one has given us a clear answer and we are ready with production.

Many thanks in advance

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 608 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 06:36 PM

At the moment we have found 2 conflicting regulations:
1) CFR 101.9 Nutrition labeling of food, in the paragraph "(3) Two classes of nutrients are defined for purposes of compliance: (i) Class I. Added nutrients in fortified or manufactured foods"

2)CFR 139.115 Enriched macaroni products. in paragraph "(1) Each such food contains in each pound not less than 4.0 milligrams (mg) and not more than 5.0 mg of thiamin, not less than 1.7 mg and not more than 2.2 mg of riboflavin, not less than 27 mg and not more than 34 mg of niacin or niacinamide, not less than 0.9 mg and not more than 1.2 mg of folic acid, and not less than 13 mg and not more than 16.5 mg of iron (Fe);

Which of the two regulations must be respected? Are there any limits to overdosing on the 5 micronutrients mentioned above?

There are maximums listed in the code you cited.

I don't see these as contradictory in any way, the first one is just defining what other regulations apply to which nutrients.

(g)(3) Two classes of nutrients are defined for purposes of compliance:

(i) Class I. Added nutrients in fortified or fabricated foods; and

(ii) Class II. Naturally occurring (indigenous) nutrients. When a nutrient is naturally occurring (indigenous) in a food or an ingredient that is added to a food, the total amount of such nutrient in the final food product is subject to class II requirements, except that when an exogenous source of the nutrient is also added to the final food product, the total amount of the nutrient in the final food product (indigenous and exogenous) is subject to class I requirements.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users