What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Costco addendum now worked into the SQF edition 9

Started by , Yesterday, 07:42 PM
2 Replies

Hello,

We just got popped at our SQF audit for our metal detector challenge. We have frozen product, "taught " our machine first thing using frozen passed product from a previous run, but our ferrous piece failed when the operator failed to notice that the product was soft.

So, We followed procedure, IE putting the product on hold, played with the nitro tunnel, got the rest of the run frozen solid, and  ran the  on hold product through later with no issues. No threat to Food safety.

The auditor told us that this was a major for Costco. I can't find that anywhere, either in the code SQF Ed 9 or in Food Safety & Quality Audit Expectations for Costco Suppliers version 2. (April 1, 2023)

Is there a later version?

Please advise.

We were also told there is no longer an "addendum" and all the Non conformances for Costco are under a single clause.  2.1, specifically, one sentence, failure to comply with customer specifications. See below:

FD 2.1 - 2.1.1.1 :Senior site management shall prepare and implement a policy statement that outlines at a minimum the commitment of
all site management to: i. Supply safe food; ii.Establish and maintain a food safety culture within the site; iii. Establish and continually improve the site's food safety management system; and iv. Comply with customer and regulatory requirements to supply safe food. The policy statement shall be: v. Signed by the senior site manager and displayed in prominent positions; and vi. Effectively communicated to all site personnel in the language(s) understood by all site personnel
Evidence:
Customer specific requirements are not met as: - No evidence was documented that next step up was contacted during recall exercises
to confirm that quantity shipped/produced match what was received. - Facility is not equipped with X-ray detection system, no evidence of capital expense plan or approved exemption by specific customer was provided during this audit. - Metal detector was challenged on 18 July 2024 morning for Ferrous (2mm), Non Ferrous (2mm) and Stainless Steel (3mm), equipment does not reject 3 times the Ferrouswand.

I'll take the first 2 hits, but where in the code or in Costco requirements does it say that failure of challenge in front of an auditor = a major, or....3 minors in a category = a major? I can't see it anywhere, or in scoring.

Please help.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Costco Unannounced audit - 2023 SQF Edition 9 vs Costco First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification
[Ad]

There would not be anything as to - a failure of challenge in front of the auditor would be a major, the call is based on severity of the issue - definitions as to what is a minor, what is a major, etc can be found in the front pages of the SQF code manual.

And it would not matter if is was operator error, even though you could have also been gigged for improper training that resulted in the operator passing thru a soft product.

As a  former Auditor however I do take issue with the application of a major for this, I do not know the exact circumstances  (not being there) however as a forner Auditor the one thing I do know is that people have a habit of freezing up in front of us and sh^t happens, given that I imagine that 2-3 passes on other types of samples were done and this is the only one where an error was made I would have either let it go on the re-passing of a sample that was frozen or at max given a minor for this.

I have never heard that 3  minors equal a major.

Since this was not challenged at the time of your audit (I am assuming it was not) and before the Auditor was out the door I would suggest challenging it on the basis of what corrective action you immediately took with the operator in front of the Auditor and either get this knocked down to a minor or eliminated entirely.

By the way, your company's scones are EXCELLENT!, We just have not been able to find them in our neck of the woods.

Hi mgagne@gagnefoods.com,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

This major appears to be just as much about not having X-ray equipment rather than the MD issue and perhaps they have just been grouped together. See the requirements below.

Re-Audit Criteria

An audit that scores below Costco’s expectations or has what Costco considers a critical finding will be considered a failed audit.

Critical Findings that require re-audit:

Operation has not installed a foreign material detection device by the time of their Costco anniversary audit and does not meet exemption criteria.

Foreign Material Control

All manufacturing operations must have a properly installed and calibrated X-ray detection device for finished product, except in the following circumstances:

● Product texture, density, or chemical composition is such that it limits the performance of the X-ray technology to an unacceptable level. These operations will be required to have a metal detector installed as well as a letter from a subject matter expert confirming that Xray is not applicable.

● Shell Eggs, whole raw agricultural commodities, whole roasted coffee beans, whole muscle meats, and packaging products will be exempt from the X-ray requirement. The operation will need to maintain current good manufacturing practices and prerequisite programs to mitigate foreign material contamination.

● Operations that utilize a physical barrier (e.g. screen, filter, sieve) that's appropriately sized and placed will be exempt from the X-ray device requirement. The operation will need to conduct integrity checks at a defined frequency, and maintain current good manufacturing practices and prerequisite programs to mitigate foreign material contamination.

There is discussion regarding Costco X-ray requirements and planning to comply in this topic that you may find useful:

https://www.ifsqn.co...irements/page-2

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Costco Unannounced audit - 2023 SQF Edition 9 vs Costco First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification SQF with Costco Addendum Goal of X Rays per Costco Costco Addendum History Costco new requirement on Xray Costco Unannounced Audit Buyer Requirement