What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Glass Tupperware in a food manufacturing facility that has a separate Non-GMP lunchroom?

Started by , Jul 18 2024 09:12 PM
18 Replies

Hi all,

What's your take on allowing glass Tupperware in a food manufacturing facility that has a separate Non-GMP lunchroom? The area has a fridge, microwave- with a glass plate already in it.  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 9.7.3.2 - Glass Inventory Tablets glass condition register Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Glass Registry BRCGS 4.9.3 Glass, brittle plastic, ceramics, and similar
[Ad]

The glass plate in a microwave it diffferent than the materials in a tupperware container - I'd say NO on the tupperware, anywhere where you can cut down on loose glass is a good thing.

In the lunchroom, I couldn't care less what the employees pack their lunches in.  Am I misreading the question as to what the concern could be for the facility here?

The risk is low as long as the associates are trained to not bring those items onto a GMP floor. The break room is the only acceptable place that glass tupperware is acceptable. 

no glass allowed in our lunch room.  Every piece of glass in the facility is checked monthly to ensure it hasn't been broken, cracked, or chipped.

I guess it would depend where your break room is located within your building, etc.

1 Like

It would be a definite no IF they have to travel through the GMP part of the plant to get to the lunch/break room. Otherwise, I think you are OK.

1 Like

To get to the lunch room - yes, they do have to travel through the GMP area, and same from going back. The lunchroom area is near lockers and changing area - all non GMP. 

They cannot enter the budling and go straight to the breakroom?

If that's they case, no, you should not allow Glass to go through the building.

2 Likes

When entering building from outside, one can access the non GMP area. But once working inside the plant, one has to walk through GMP to get there. Think of a mezzanine set-up. 

How is breakage of light bulb in the fridge or microwave plate different than employees' glassware then? 

You need to get light bulbs that are documented at shatter resistant. The auditor may want to see the documentation. You will need to perform a glass and brittle plastic audit at least monthly.

How often does the microwave plate--

A. Break

B. Travel through production.

Additionally, there should be a written procedure for any glass breakage. 

1 Like

The difference would be, that those items will be on your glass list, and checked monthly to ensure they're not compromised.  

Items brought in by employees are carried in daily, and you have no idea what they are.   What if an employee drops something glass, breaks it.   Thinks nothing of it, and cleans it up.    ANNNNDDDDD they miss a sliver of glass.  And it ends up in production stuck to a shoe.   Etc etc etc.

No glass.   Besides, it's just easier.  I often read on here people saying 'well, just do an assessment and....' blah blah blah.   I don't get it.   Why do that to yourself?   Why not just make your life easier?   Personally, I have way too much going on around here to babysit the glass issue.  

So in my place:   No glass.

And I never have to worry about it.....

1 Like

I should have clarified this - Once employees enter the building, they first go to the lunch room/non-GMP area, put their belongings.

They never at any point would walk with glassware through GMP area. Then when comes lunch time, they would have access to their stuff in breakroom. When done, they go back to work without taking anything with them. 

Currently our lunchroom area is not included in glass/brittle plastics list. We do document and monitor everything though. 

So if something were to break, it would not be transferred to GMP area - assuming thorough cleaning. So my point is how is it different then whether the microwave plate breaks or employee's lunchbox?   

Currently our lunchroom area is not included in glass/brittle plastics list. We do document and monitor everything though. 

Yeahhhhhh, it should be.   And the second part is kind of funny.   You literally list something you don't monitor, and then tell us you monitor everything....

And to me your argument makes no sense.   Whether they put it in there in the morning or not is moot.   If something breaks, and they go back in to production with glass unknowingly stuck to their shoes, shirt, etc, you're screwed.    Food safety is job 1 for people in our position.   It's not for us to play devil's advocate on why it's ok, we should be playing the opposite role.

And you ask what is the difference between the microwave plate, which I answered in a previous post.    The lunchbox comment I don't get.   They make glass lunchboxes?

Hey, do you, but in my experience at some point an auditor is gonna hit you on this.

1 Like

I meant "we monitor and document everything else (glass/brittle plastic) throughout facility". It's just that lunchroom area is not listed. 

I was referring to glass Tupperware as lunchboxes.

I do agree that I should not be playing devil's advocate and just stick to "no glass" policy. 

But, must they (lunchroom items) be included in our glass/plastic list? We are BRCGS. 

Our auditor says "not in product area, no need to list them". Do you all agree? 

I meant "we monitor and document everything else (glass/brittle plastic) throughout facility". It's just that lunchroom area is not listed. 

I was referring to glass Tupperware as lunchboxes.

I do agree that I should not be playing devil's advocate and just stick to "no glass" policy. 

But, must they (lunchroom items) be included in our glass/plastic list? We are BRCGS. 

hi ;) 

BRC issue 9 - Clause 4.9.3.2 Procedure for handling glass and other brittle materials (other than product packaging) shall be in place where open products are handled or there is a risk of product contamination. 

I do not agree with the auditor, the risk assessment should sort all of your questions. I would consider canteen as non-product area. However there is a possibility of broken piece of glass (dust etc) to be transferred from canteen to open products on staff trousers. To reduce this risk glass plates, bowls, glasses, water bottles, lunch boxes shall be prohibited. 

Microwaves, windows etc can be checked annually (based on the risk assessment) 

;)

2 Likes1 Thank

I should have clarified this - Once employees enter the building, they first go to the lunch room/non-GMP area, put their belongings.

They never at any point would walk with glassware through GMP area. Then when comes lunch time, they would have access to their stuff in breakroom. When done, they go back to work without taking anything with them. 

What separates the breakroom from the production area?  Specifically regarding a boot wash or use of separate footwear for production areas.

Many facilities are going to use some kind of bootwash as justification for how hazards from outside the building are controlled (glass, filth, etc. on footwear).  I don't see the presence of a piece of glass cookwear in the breakroom as being any different than glass cookwear at home or broken beer bottles on the sidewalk a mile away from the facility.  It's all being controlled by the same bootwash or footwear policy.

1 Like

Excellent point, GM. There is no bootwash or separate footwear implementation once in. But when they leave, they change footware, not for lunches. 

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 9.7.3.2 - Glass Inventory Tablets glass condition register Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Glass Registry BRCGS 4.9.3 Glass, brittle plastic, ceramics, and similar Glass Policy and SOP Glass and Hard plastic check Glass and Brittle Plastic Register Glass and Brittle Plastic Inventory (form) Do we need to add plastic cat trap to our Glass and Brittle Plastic controls?