• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Hello All!

I'm at a bit of a loss with the right method to use to verify our quat sanitizer concentration in our portable equipment foamers and 3-compartment sink. Here is my issue:

My site had our initial SQF audit in May. The auditor asked about our sanitizing procedures, I showed her the test strips we use to verify concentration (0-400 ppm). She gave us a finding because our upper limit is 400 - so her question was "how do you know you're not at 600ppm if the strip only goes to 400ppm". Valid question. So...to follow the SQF auditor, I purchased 1000ppm quat strips.

2 weeks later we had DHHS conduct a preventative controls audit. The auditor looked into our sanitizing procedures as well. Her feedback was that the test strips used should depend on the % of "active ingredient". When she said this, she pointed to the 10% on the label that showed "C16, 10%". My assumption (and maybe I'm wrong) was that a QT-10 was the strip that should be used.

The 1000ppm strips are not giving a reading. However, the 400ppm QT-10 strips are. And I seem to only be able to find QT-10s in max 400ppm. I'm not sure what direction to go here. I feel like I've gotten conflicting information from both auditors and I don't know enough about the chemistry to make conclusions (or argue a finding). 

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Invest in a titration kit to give you an actual value not just a range

then you titrate as needed based on your process

(strips can be used mid day)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 PM

More important than the questions presented so far is what strength or concentration does the manufacturer recommend for the type of application you use it for?

For example we have a quat sanitizer we use as the final step in our sanitation process for product contact surfaces.  The manufacturer does not recommend greater than 200ppm for food contact applications, so our dilution and test target that value.

Edited by G M, Yesterday, 07:05 PM.

bknudsen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 07:12 PM

More important than the questions presented so far is what strength or concentration does the manufacturer recommend for the type of application you use it for?

For example we have a quat sanitizer we use as the final step in our sanitation process for product contact surfaces.  The manufacturer does not recommend greater than 200ppm for food contact applications, so our dilution and test target that value.

The recommended concentration is based on the target pathogens. The label reads "effective against xxxxx" at 200, 300 & 400ppm.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 07:20 PM

The recommended concentration is based on the target pathogens. The label reads "effective against xxxxx" at 200, 300 & 400ppm.

And it is safe for or recommended for direct food contact at?

bknudsen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

And it is safe for or recommended for direct food contact at?

Yes, the label gives the recommended ppm under "To sanitize food processing equipment, utensils and other food contact articles"

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users