What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

INGREDIENT STATEMENT WHEN USING DRY FORM OF A INGREDIENT.

Started by , Jul 09 2024 04:06 PM
6 Replies

Is it possible to declare "potatoes" when using potato flour which is only made from potatoes? or do you have to write "POTATO FLOUR (POTATOES)" or writing "POTATOES" is fine? Similarly if you have Milk powder in the formulation could you declare only "non fat milk?

In general, when using the dry form of a ingredient should the ingredient statement of the finished product specify that it is a dry/powder ingredient?

I appreciate your guidance.

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Manufacturer Input form & Food Chain ID Standard Ingredient Form USA Ingredient List- "Rubbed with..." in list Water as an ingredient? Ingredient risk assesment Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA)
[Ad]

Potato flour is not potato.

What does the spec sheet for the ingredient say?   A spec sheet will list the ingredient declaration right on it....

1 Like

Processing a raw material to remove water (or other volatile fluids) is generally going to result in the name of the ingredient changing to reflect its dried form.

You can't sell a carton of "milk" that just has some powdered milk in it.  No sack of "potatoes" with just some flakes or flour inside.  Same goes for the ingredients list, it has to be the common name.

All that assuming your label requirements are for the US based on your location.

2 Likes

Processing a raw material to remove water (or other volatile fluids) is generally going to result in the name of the ingredient changing to reflect its dried form.

You can't sell a carton of "milk" that just has some powdered milk in it.  No sack of "potatoes" with just some flakes or flour inside.  Same goes for the ingredients list, it has to be the common name.

All that assuming your label requirements are for the US based on your location.

Ehhhhhh, maybe, but not necessarily..... my spray dried non fat milk declaration is nonfat milk.   My spray dried butter declaration is just 'butter', but I follow it up with bracketed ingredients of the butter.....

1 Like

It would be listed as potato flour even though straight potato flour is powdered potato - unlike potato starch which is completely different 

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback, which I agree with. That is how I write ingredient statements; however, there were questions from another department that challenged why we could not just say potatoes or milk. I think it is essential because it keeps the consumer aware of what they eat even though those ingredients are entirely safe.

The specifications for those ingredients just said : "Potatoes" and the other said "non-fat milk"

I write: POTATO FLAKES (POTATOES) OR DRY MILK (NON-FAT MILK)

Would you agree?

I found that  Dry Milk can be declare as Non-fat Milk according to FDA Title 21 Part 501 Subpart A (3) Skim milk, concentrated skim milk, reconstituted skim milk, and nonfat dry milk may be declared as skim milk or nonfat milk.

(4) Milk, concentrated milk, reconstituted milk, and dry whole milk may be declared as milk.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Manufacturer Input form & Food Chain ID Standard Ingredient Form USA Ingredient List- "Rubbed with..." in list Water as an ingredient? Ingredient risk assesment Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? How to control salt water brine as an ingredient? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area Transportation of a frozen ingredient