• Quick Navigation
Photo

Risk assessment - Metal Detector vs. X Ray (foreign body detection)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

LesleySR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 52 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2024 - 10:08 AM

Hi All

I’m doing a gap analysis for the requirements of a UK retailer, who is a customer of my client and I have noticed this requirement in their standards:

Where metal-detection systems are in place, there must be a risk assessment conducted to determine and define which detection system is the most accurate and appropriate for the product being made e.g. X-ray or metal detection equipment.

In common with most established food manufacturers the site already has metal detectors, not X Ray and there are no plans to invest in X Ray equipment.

Complaints of foreign bodies are not high (few reports of EVM, eg. pips/stalks and occasional metal issues, mainly from equipment, not raw materials). 

The site produces hot & cold fill sauces (some of which are sieved, some not, depending on particulate content).

My limited knowledge of X ray systems is that X Ray is affected by product temperature, requires more frequent calibration checks and is slower than metal detection.

To me the need for a risk assessment really is a moot point as the metal detectors are already in use and unlikely to be replaced.

My question is this – how do I go about producing a risk assessment for equipment that was installed quite some time ago and unlikely to be changed in the near future?.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 592 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2024 - 02:02 PM

Honestly it sounds to me like your assessment will show you do not need an x ray machine due to sieving where needed, having metal detection, etc.

But you can't base it on:  we don't want to invest in it, or we already have a metal detector so no x ray is needed.

Do your due diligence and I think you'll come out with not needing one, but do it for the right reasons.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users