• Quick Navigation
Photo

Purchase chemicals from approved suppliers?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

coffeeQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2024 - 01:07 PM

Hello! We are an SQF certified facility. We purchase all ingredients, etc. from only approved suppliers. However, are we required to be purchasing chemicals from approved suppliers? We maintain all SDSs on file and review chemicals before purchase, but do not necessarily dictate the suppliers the chemicals are purchased from. Chemicals are purchased from big reputable sites, then smaller more general places like Ace Hardware and Amazon. 

Thanks in advance! 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 July 2024 - 01:41 PM

Technically the code does not specifically call out chemicals HOWEVER, it's in your own best interest to apply the code to chemicals anyway

as for buying stuff from ACE or Amazon ---really try not to do that to save yourself heaps of frustration PARTICULARLY if you're talking about product that touches food contact surfaces

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 895 posts
  • 298 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2024 - 02:15 PM

im with skampi on this as well.  

Not sure which chemicals you are refering to.    However, I would put additives or processing aids in the same category as raw materials if you havent or have them.  

Some would disagree, but I also like to make sure that chemicals that touch food contact areas or have  possible incidental contact are NSF approved for thier purpose - hand soaps, cleaners and sanitizers, lubes, etc.   It might be good to dictate these more critical product so that someone isnt running to ace of amazon and buying soap made with walnut shells, etc.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Lynx42

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2024 - 02:27 PM

We are storage and distribution and use Module 12.  Module 2 is worded differently for each one, but ours says:

"... all incoming supplies used by the site but not intended for distribution, including, but not limited to hazardous chemicals, ice, food packaging materials, or janitorial supplies that are used on-site..."

Weird, I just looked through module 2 for both 7 and 11 and neither of them spell it out that clearly, but supplies are supplies and we were told whoever supplies our pallets and stretch wrap also needed to be on the supplier approval list.  She didn't go so far to say we had to have office supplies on there, but we added it anyway.
We do also have Amazon as an approved supplier, because we do sometimes order stuff from there.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 729 posts
  • 197 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2024 - 03:19 PM

I went through a lot of this in my first job.  They used a store bought isopropyl alcohol as their equipment sanitizer, and the production manager had been buying it from a drug store near his house for over 10 years or something crazy.  Cases of the stuff were special ordered for him weekly.  It worked until it didn't.  Auditors finally pushed back I think in our third year, that a drug store is not a proper supplier for a chemical directly affecting food safety.  We can't evaluate them, we can't get their audits, can't get specifications, etc.  Also, no guarantee the employee sent to purchase them buys the correct thing while they're there.

I've never found issue with maintenance purchasing standard or food grade chemicals through Grainger or other OTC places to be an issue, so long as you go back and list all of the chemicals they're buying and make sure you have specs and SDS on them.  But for anything related to your food production, sanitation, pest control, etc., they've always told me it needs to come from approved suppliers.  It becomes a business continuity thing as well:  if you're buying critical need items over the counter, no guarantee they'll have it on site and now your company is left in a pickle.

I agree with most above that the code isn't super clear about approving chemical suppliers (even I'm admitting I pick and choose which chemicals I have approved suppliers for).  I decided to take a run at all the possibly relevant code sections as to why you would want to have them on your list.  I'll say it has made my life easier to just have them approved, less questions from auditors about ensuring we have the right cleaners in the right concentrations with the right specification data, so on and so forth.

Definition from Glossary:  Supplier: The entity that provides a product or service to the SQF certified site.

2.3.4.1 The responsibility and procedure for selecting, evaluating, approving, and monitoring an approved supplier shall be documented and implemented. A current record of approved suppliers, receiving inspections, and supplier audits shall be maintained.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.3.2.2 Specifications for all raw materials and packaging, including, but not limited to, ingredients, additives, hazardous chemicals, processing aids, and packaging that impact finished product safety shall be documented and kept current.

2.3.2.10 Specifications for raw materials and packaging, chemicals, processing aids, contract services, and finished products shall be reviewed as changes occur that impact product safety. Records of reviews shall be maintained.

11.2.5.2 Detergents and sanitizers shall be suitable for use in a food manufacturing environment, labeled according to regulatory requirements, and purchased in accordance with applicable legislation. The organization shall ensure:

i. The site maintains a list of chemicals approved for use;

ii. An inventory of all purchased and used chemicals is maintained;

11.6.4.1 Hazardous chemicals and toxic substances with the potential for food contamination shall be:

i. Clearly labeled, identifying and matching the contents of their containers;

ii. Included in a current register of all hazardous chemicals and toxic substances that are stored on-site;

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,099 posts
  • 297 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 02 July 2024 - 05:04 PM

Chemicals not used in food production (break rooms, offices) - Amazon is fine. We use Grainger as well for maintenance chemicals too. 

For cleaning/sanitizing production rooms - having a chemical supplier makes the most sense. I once worked for a company that consisted of two production rooms and 10 employees - they had a chemical supplier/rep. Makes life easier when issues/questions arise.  

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 294 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 03 July 2024 - 10:19 AM

Purchase chemicals from approved supplier only. If new supplier then follow the approval procedure.

Share this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users