• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Norway
    Norway

Posted 01 July 2024 - 07:59 AM

Hi all,

We're working on our environmental monitoring program and wonder how we shall define our zones.

There are the 4 "standard" zones:

Zone 1: Product contact surfaces
Zone 2: Equipment and other surfaces close to the direct contact areas
Zone 3: Surfaces not in direct contact with food
Zone 4: Areas distant from production areas

We have product contact surfaces both before and after heat treatment. Is it normal to handle the raw material area as an own zone in addition to these 4 zones?

Do you separate the raw material area/area before heat treatment into different zones (product contact, close to direct contact etc.) or just keep it as one zone?

By definition we have zone 1, 2 and 3 both before and after heat treatment. In my mind we end up with 7 different zones since sampling in he different zones before and after heat treatment must be different. Am I completely off the mark? 

Anyone who can share how they have defined their zones in a plant with heat treatment or another killing step?

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 608 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2024 - 12:22 PM

I'd say technically anything product contact is zone 1, but you could divy it up like:   Zone 1 is preheat treatment contact surfaces, zone 1A is post heat treatment, zone 1B is post whatever else?   I don't know your exact process, but that's what I'd do if you can make it work for you.   But yeah, in my mind everything product contact is still zone 1 as far as how you define your swabbing process.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Anf

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 628 posts
  • 123 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2024 - 07:03 PM

If you're converting raw commodities into RTE or shelf stable foods with a thermal lethality, I wouldn't expect to see much environmental monitoring before the lethality process.  Most raw commodities are presumed positive for a variety of things, and that's why you're cooking it.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Anf

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 928 posts
  • 307 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2024 - 02:36 PM

like GM stated many plants will not do envirnmental monitoring prior to letality.  

I personnaly see the benefit in doing them.   Find it, get rid of it.   Also provides historic data of possible sources that may be transfered to post lethality areas.  

Like Dale state 1A & 1B or 1 Post & 1 Pre.  However you want to designate it.   I do think its wise to diferenciate.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 608 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2024 - 02:55 PM

Just for clarity, I only swab anything after my sanitation SOP has been run....  so pre lethality/post lethality shouldn't matter if you swab that way.  I'm verifying my sanitation procedures when I swab.  My place is a different animal though, very low risk, non RTE items, etc, so you gotta do you...

Anf

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Norway
    Norway

Posted 02 July 2024 - 03:34 PM

Thank you all for valuable input!

I think we have decided to reduce the environmental monitoring in our raw material area to a minimum during production since it is expected to find "something" in our raw material. Maybe indicator bacteria on a few places for direct contact.

We do swab everything after cleaning so definition of zones was more needed for our sampling during production.

noodle_ninja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 July 2024 - 12:19 PM

a few thoughts - hopefully they address your questions/are helpful.

-Zones 1 through 4 are are not quite the same as Raw vs. RTE zones. Both your raw and ready to eat areas of the facility will each have zone 1/2/3 surfaces. 

-while your EMP may not need to focus on the raw areas for the reasons others have advised on above, it really depends on the degree of separation you have between raw and RTE, along with hurdles to minimize any instances of cross-contamination.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users