• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to become a Food Quality Assurance Manager or an Food Quality Auditor?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

PPPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2024 - 10:15 PM

Hi,

I have been working in a food quality assurance department at a dumpling factory for two years. I have been just helping out the department with my knowledge that I gained from some online certifications so I am trying to pursue a graduate degree and was wondering which master's Program would be good for me to land a job as a food quality assurance manager? I have a undergraduate degree already but it is not related to food at all. Can someone suggest me like what steps can I take to land a job as a food quality assurance manager?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,756 posts
  • 1155 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 29 June 2024 - 11:13 PM

What is your title now at the dumpling company and what online certifications do you hold?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

PPPP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 June 2024 - 11:25 PM

What is your title now at the dumpling company and what online certifications do you hold?

HACCP Coordinator and HACCP certificate

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 584 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2024 - 12:24 PM

I don't think you need a graduate degree at all honestly, if you have enough experience.  It seems to from the ads I've seen they value experience as much as education for certain roles, but obviously education helps.   I don't have any graduate degree, and I don't feel it would further my career to do so honestly...

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,096 posts
  • 297 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 01 July 2024 - 12:31 PM

Another thing you need to consider. Are you willing to move for the job. I started my career as a one person QC department for a FDA plant. I moved up after a few years to a larger company (FDA and USDA) but I had to re-locate.  I agree with MDaleDFF. I have a master's degree but that's not what got me the job.  My knowledge base and skillset got me my current position. 

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 716 posts
  • 197 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2024 - 01:52 PM

I agree that knowledge and experience is more helpful than anything else when it comes to the food industry.  There are some degrees that focus on food and food sciences through various universities, and I'd view biology degrees as helpful as well.  But where I'm at, we look way closer at relevant experience when we choose candidates for leadership roles at our facilities.

I'd suggest looking into a PCQI certification.  Going through that course will probably help show where you might need more experience to step into a management role vs the current focus you've got as a HACCP Coordinator.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,756 posts
  • 1155 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 July 2024 - 06:08 PM

I agree with MDaleDDF.

Over 30 years ago I went for an interview at a hotel franchise company, I was working as a professional chef with Hilton and always thought it would be cool to be a hotel inspector (QA) but the requirement was that I had to have "at least" 4 years of college and a degree - preference on a B.S.

Heck, I didn't even have a high school diploma, but what I had was a lot of experience from growing up in a family restaurant operation, moving up from salt and pepper shaker filler when I was 6 years old to loading the soda fountain machines, to dishwasher, pot washer, pantry runner, dessert station, bakery, Pantry prep, cook, sandwich maker, line cook, banquet cook and into the role of a Roundsman Chef with Hilton, then into a food safety role with a new division of the company and internal auditing of the entire hotel systems - oh, I also cleaned the bathrooms and took the garbage out to be compacted - this is called experience.

And I think because I didn't have that HS thing and the BS and college time I worked even harder at learning and putting into practice what I learned, I even volunteered time on the hotel rooms side because I wanted to learn about doing hotel inspections.

When I walked into the Managing Director's office at another hotel franchise company I didn't even have a resume, had not filled out one of their applications (because the receptionist forgot to ask me to fill one out) and when Bob asked me what jobs I had had I told him and he found it fascinating that I did not have all the educational "degrees" etc and flat out laughed when I said I did not have a resume.

But we talked and discussed the restaurant and hotel business and then he looked up at a Regional Director for one of the hotel companies that was sitting in at the table and said - Dick, you don't have degree do ya? Dick said, no - I have a lot experience like this guy does.

I was hired, I started the next day in a training session at a conference room that held 20 people - 18 of which had degrees - Bob told me not to mention my not having that stuff because it was a requirement for getting the position- so I didn't.

As we would find out however, Dick and I had the most experience and experience always wins.

For you I would suggest you stay in a Quality role - learn all you can, get into an assistant role, then work on becoming a Quality Assurance Manager or similar before you venture into an Auditor role - as you need to understand fully what you are auditing/inspecting.

One thing I would suggest is to wait a bit of time to take any FDA, USDA, etc courses because there is about to be MAJOR ELIMINATIONS and changes with rules and regulations from these agencies that will greatly effect food companies and this is due to the agencies themselves making unconstitutional rules, laws, etc - I imagine based on what I have studied and listened to that all or at least large chunks of FSMA will become a thing of the past - if they haven't already started the slide.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 584 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2024 - 06:16 PM

K makes a good point on being willing to relocate too.  It seems many food businesses are centered around where their products grow, are fished, raised, etc.   So you gotta go where the work is for certain products.

And Glen's experience example is spot on.   I have 3 degrees, none in food science, and I actually think it makes me better at my job than my predecessor, who had a science degree and masters in food science.  She never met a ham she didn't over-bake...

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2024 - 07:08 PM

I, too, am excited about the Chevron decision!

I agree with MDaleDDF.

Over 30 years ago I went for an interview at a hotel franchise company, I was working as a professional chef with Hilton and always thought it would be cool to be a hotel inspector (QA) but the requirement was that I had to have "at least" 4 years of college and a degree - preference on a B.S.

Heck, I didn't even have a high school diploma, but what I had was a lot of experience from growing up in a family restaurant operation, moving up from salt and pepper shaker filler when I was 6 years old to loading the soda fountain machines, to dishwasher, pot washer, pantry runner, dessert station, bakery, Pantry prep, cook, sandwich maker, line cook, banquet cook and into the role of a Roundsman Chef with Hilton, then into a food safety role with a new division of the company and internal auditing of the entire hotel systems - oh, I also cleaned the bathrooms and took the garbage out to be compacted - this is called experience.

And I think because I didn't have that HS thing and the BS and college time I worked even harder at learning and putting into practice what I learned, I even volunteered time on the hotel rooms side because I wanted to learn about doing hotel inspections.

When I walked into the Managing Director's office at another hotel franchise company I didn't even have a resume, had not filled out one of their applications (because the receptionist forgot to ask me to fill one out) and when Bob asked me what jobs I had had I told him and he found it fascinating that I did not have all the educational "degrees" etc and flat out laughed when I said I did not have a resume.

But we talked and discussed the restaurant and hotel business and then he looked up at a Regional Director for one of the hotel companies that was sitting in at the table and said - Dick, you don't have degree do ya? Dick said, no - I have a lot experience like this guy does.

I was hired, I started the next day in a training session at a conference room that held 20 people - 18 of which had degrees - Bob told me not to mention my not having that stuff because it was a requirement for getting the position- so I didn't.

As we would find out however, Dick and I had the most experience and experience always wins.

For you I would suggest you stay in a Quality role - learn all you can, get into an assistant role, then work on becoming a Quality Assurance Manager or similar before you venture into an Auditor role - as you need to understand fully what you are auditing/inspecting.

One thing I would suggest is to wait a bit of time to take any FDA, USDA, etc courses because there is about to be MAJOR ELIMINATIONS and changes with rules and regulations from these agencies that will greatly effect food companies and this is due to the agencies themselves making unconstitutional rules, laws, etc - I imagine based on what I have studied and listened to that all or at least large chunks of FSMA will become a thing of the past - if they haven't already started the slide.

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 391 posts
  • 123 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 01 July 2024 - 09:59 PM

I'd echo that if you're looking to become a QA Manager specifically, a master's program isn't be best path. Master's degrees in food science are more applicable in the realm of R&D and product development. For QA work, experience is definitely king. Many of the best QA Manager solutions are very pragmatic because they need to reach across multiple departments. You can learn regulations from a textbook, but applying them sensibly needs to come down to an experienced understanding of how to work with people and your specific company. Here's a common path people take to the role of QA Manager:

QA Technician --> QA Shift Supervisor/Team Lead --> ((Knowledge Development)) --> QA Manager

The important part is the knowledge development section. There's a bit of a hurdle to overcome when you move from supervising just a team of QA techs to being responsible for quality plant-wide. Important knowledge to gain here is the regulations that govern to your operation (or those you're interested in) as well as the certifications that apply (HACCP, PQCI, etc.). That knowledge certainly doesn't need to come from a master's degree. Yes it should start in a textbook, because simply learning regs from how your predecessor applied them is a dangerous game of telephone, but the important part is learning to apply them in your career.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users