Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:22 PM

We are considering a holiday item wrapped in foil.  We do not have an x-ray machine only metal detector.  Is it possible to run the candy thru the metal detector and then wrap being compliant for food safety.  Do foil manufacturers provide a statement of some sort that the foil is free of loose metal? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,770 posts
  • 1157 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:15 PM

We had a client that did this but I never heard of a foil mfg ever giving that type of guarantee only that they would provide smooth edges without breaks and cuts. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

CONSULTANT

https://t.me/MVIDigitalWarrior

Thanked by 1 Member:

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 107 posts
  • 32 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2024 - 09:45 AM

When I worked in the rice industry we used an inline MD before product was bagged in foil pouches and foil film. Never had any isses with BRC / SQF.

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 599 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2024 - 12:10 PM

We are considering a holiday item wrapped in foil.  We do not have an x-ray machine only metal detector.  Is it possible to run the candy thru the metal detector and then wrap being compliant for food safety.  Do foil manufacturers provide a statement of some sort that the foil is free of loose metal? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

It is more of a matter of risk assessment.  If your packaging process does not introduce any significant NEW risks for foreign material, then your FM detector being in the flow before packaging should not be a problem.

Our older automated packaging machines all have metal detectors between the scale and the funnel that directs material into the package -- two movement cycles after that it is sealed.  None of our inspectors or auditors has questioned this arrangement with the risk assessment and other controls in place.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,622 posts
  • 1538 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 June 2024 - 02:20 PM

Best to have a MD tech come and add a new setting to account for the foil packaging.  

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users