• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2024 - 08:08 PM

Hi all,

First time poster and am looking forward to your help. Is there a certain requirement for using vanilla beans to vanilla flower picture/art in packaging for a vanilla flavored confection? I cannot find any requirements for art or pictures, only for labeling requirements.

Thank you in advance

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 296 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:47 AM

No such requirement in my knowledge.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 928 posts
  • 307 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2024 - 02:17 PM

There are really no rules on art work in the usa.   The exception being that it if it interferres with the required lableing info.   

I would not advise using the vanilla orchid /bean on an artificialy flavored product.   Red bull got sued because people didnt grow wings........

Edited by kingstudruler1, 19 June 2024 - 02:17 PM.

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 148 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 19 June 2024 - 03:28 PM

I found this. I think the art or vignette is acceptable. You just have to be careful if it is artificially flavored.

You might get in trouble if you have a picture of a vanilla plant with no vanilla flavoring in the ingredients.

You don't want to be misleading

[21CFR101.22]

If the label, labeling, or advertising of a food makes any direct or indirect representations with respect to the primary recognizable flavor(s), by word, vignette, e.g., depiction of a fruit, or other means, or if for any other reason the manufacturer or distributor of a food wishes to designate the type of flavor in the food other than through the statement of ingredients, such flavor shall be considered the characterizing flavor and shall be declared in the following way:

(1) If the food contains no artificial flavor which simulates, resembles or reinforces the characterizing flavor, the name of the food on the principal display panel or panels of the label shall be accompanied by the common or usual name of the characterizing flavor, e.g., "vanilla", in letters not less than one-half the height of the letters used in the name of the food

If none of the natural flavor used in the food is derived from the product whose flavor is simulated, the food in which the flavor is used shall be labeled either with the flavor of the product from which the flavor is derived or as "artificially flavored."

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users