• Quick Navigation
Photo

Refrigerated Food transported under ambient temperature.

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

awalkers

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2024 - 02:20 PM

Hello, 

Our procedures indicate that transportation trucks that transport refrigerated products must be 41 F or less. However, there are instances ("emergencies") when we have local small business picking up 3-6 cases of product in a non-refrigerated vehicle that goes to a location 1/2 to 1 hour away. We have evaluated that under the conditions that the vehicle is 62 F, time frame than 2 hours and shipping product with internal temperature 38 F; based on FDA guidelines temperature exposure, the likely hood the food becoming unsafe is low therefore has been allowed. Also by this statement, "determination is made by a qualified individual that the temperature deviation or other condition did not render the food unsafe. (21 CFR 1.908(a)(6))"

However, I am concern that someone can complain later for spoilage (it has not happen) but how to analyze the root cause if there is no way to assume that is their fault since they could expose the product to higher temperatures or longer exposure time. 

Any ideas on how to potentially handle this type of situations? or should just be clear and under any circumstances allow transportation under ambient temperature.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Anas

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,660 posts
  • 1550 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 June 2024 - 03:22 PM

insist the customer sign a waiver for ambient shipments as part of the sales agreement

but for your brand, you really shouldn't allow this at all

there are some companies with vans that are equipped with refers, maybe that is a better option

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 928 posts
  • 307 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2024 - 03:36 PM

I dont think there is any way you can justify the safety of the product.   You have no way of knowing the exact  time temperature abuse.  

However, if the customer is arranging / responsible for transportation, they are responsible for ensuring the proper temperature during transit.    

You could create / document  an agreenment that they acknowldege the vehicle temperature deficiency and assume responsibility for the safe transpost of the product.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

ChristinaK

Weird but Fun

• IFSQN Member
  • 248 posts
  • 73 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 18 June 2024 - 09:20 PM

The temperature abuse may also be shortening the shelf-life of the product, even if it isn't immediately spoiling, so that can be another concern.

I agree with Scampi; you should have some kind of signed agreement/acknowledgement in place.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Shrimper

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2024 - 11:27 AM

Depending on the product this could be very unsafe... Your proposed 38oF is boarder line too warm for reduced oxygen foods for C. botulinum. I agree with the Scampi's point of not continuing this "emergency" protocol for you own brand's sake. 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,674 posts
  • 378 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 19 June 2024 - 11:57 AM

I would certainly try to find another method of moving product and keeping it cold

-Setanta         

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 717 posts
  • 231 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2024 - 07:12 PM

Use a 12V refrigerated container. Lots on the market or you could build one for a small price. Have you considered a large box with dry ice in it? Low tech but effective. I ordered a pizza from Chicago and it was sent frozen in a Styrofoam container with dry ice and it was frozen solid 2 days after they sent it and it was delivered.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 654 posts
  • 192 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2024 - 03:30 PM

Hello Awalkers, I agree with you and the rest of the group that this potential risky situation, but you do have some fairly easy(ish) risk reducers that you can implement. I ran into a very similar issue at a grocer distributor I worked for. Sales team members were taking 'emergency' orders to customers all across Houston, in the trunks of their cars. I had no idea how long or at what temp (FYI, Houston is hot) the product travelled under.

How I handled it:  1) travel 'coolers' with reusable food safe cold packs. Said cold packs were kept in a pouch inside the coolers that had no risk of touching the product (cooled the cooler, which kept product cool, you will have to do some searching to find it, I can't quite remember which ones we used but it worked great) Ice packs and coolers got cleaned and were recorded on a cleaning schedule (also inspected for any rips/tears even tho it was 'food safe') 2) Temperature readings (surface) of product(s) documented on a temp sheet for loading and unloading. (Obviously will require training, etc to implement correct temp readings i.e. not WHILE it's inside the dang cooler) to verify that procedure was being followed and cold chain was maintained.

Depending on how large your loads are though, this may or may not be a good one for you.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 758 posts
  • 206 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2024 - 09:53 PM

Could be worth a quick in-house study: take a case of your product and temp monitor it in an ambient ac part of your office, see what temps it is actually being subjected to for an hour outside of your climate controlled environment.

Otherwise I agree with what others have said about a signed waiver. They’re buying it and controlling the transport, they need to acknowledge responsibility of their temp abuse of their product.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users